new at lighting c&c please

jamescell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know the little one doesn't look right, but she is one month old. I need some c&c about the lighting please :) I didn't have any black fabric for the stool I was using, but I did buy some for next time, I really wish I would have thought about that sooner:confused: I used 3 Vivitar 285hv's. The girls are about 8 feet in front of the black backdrop. The main light is set to 1/4 power shot at a silver umbrella, the umbrella is at camera left about 1 foot infront of the girls and 3 feet to there left. the umbrella height is centered on my oldest daughters face. The second light is also shot at a a silver umbella set on 1/4 power but it is at cmera right, and subject 10 o'clock, about 6 feet away. This light is set a litte lower in height. The third light is between the subject and back ground, about 3 feet from the backdrop on 1/16th power with a neon blue gel,

_MG_5891.jpg

_MG_5878.jpg

How cute!!! I really love the angle in #1. I think the lighting is really nice expecially in the 2nd one. Did u use a reflector?

No, just flash:)

#1- i like this one alot. the girl's eyes are full of life and energy.

#2- a couple of minor things here.....
1. there are 2 catch lights in her eyes. this doesn't ruin the photo by any means. if i had snapped it, i would be more than happy to print and frame.
2. her eyes don't seem very sharp. not a big deal and this could be because i am looking at it on my laptop.

the lighting overall: very well done!! very warm. no harsh shadows. the subjects "pop".

great job :thumbup:

Good point about the catch lights, I never can seem to get them to look right when I photoshop them out :( and your right it isn't as sharp as I like :( next time I will be using a little more light or a higher iso so I can close down a bit more:)

Good point about the catch lights, I never can seem to get them to look right when I photoshop them out :(

i wouldn't PS them out. instead have the model face more towards the main light or move the fill light back more or turn it's power down some maybe.

and your right it isn't as sharp as I like :( next time I will be using a little more light or a higher iso so I can close down a bit more:)

honestly for a portrait i wouldn't raise your ISO. the lighting looks good the way it is. just a tweak in your technique is all that's really required here.

what i do is: have my main focusing points right between the eyes. example: on a head shot i will use my center focusing point only and put that between the subject's eyes, that way the eyes are sharp and everything else shoots soft. people like soft looking skin

ok, thanks:) I did notice the farthest eye is much sharper than the closer one, mabey a little more ambient will help get a better focus? When I took these I only had one small table light for ambient, I highly doubt that light contributes to the exposure at all because I used a shutter speed of 1/200, but it did take some searching to lock one focus wise. While we are on the subject I think you have pointed out a major flaw in my technique, and I must thank you! I have been using all the af points my camera has to offer with out even thinking about it! I should pick one point, lock it between the eyes then recompose?

what you are doing and what you have done are not major flaws at all. you could use all of the focusing points as along as the eyes are sharp :)

the 1 focus point is a technique that i use. it works well for what i try to accomplish.

on my camera, when i select 1 focusing point it stays selected until i select others or select them all. so i don't need to recompose.

since you are using flashes, maybe more ambient could help. it's worth a try :) i use a strobe that has a modeling light and have never used off camera flashes before.

here's a site that could really help you The Strobist

that site is all about using off camera flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back