new body for a wedding

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
doing my first wedding in 2 weeks and i want an upgrade/ and use my current d90 as a second body.
I am torn between getting a D700 or D7000.
D700 is $2.6k
D7000 is $1.1k
i read in many places that the iso performance is almost as good with the d7000 than the d700. i could afford the d700 but its like all the money i have left. i could spend 1.5k less and have more for other things. I know each is going to be an improvement over my D90, but is the D700 that much better than the d7000?

If I had the cash I would definitely upgrade to a D700 for the FX sensor however the D7000 doesn't look to shabby either and with the remainder you could easily pick up some other nice glass to go with the D7000.
It honestly depends on you and what your horizon for other upgrades might be like.

You realize you're talking two different formats...FX and DX...DX lenses are useless on a D700. Would you be ready to buy new lenses? lol

Sent from Erics iPhone www.ericporado.com

what do you mean useless. i see so many pics on flickr of 50mm 1.8D and 35mm 1.8G on d700 looks fine just tiny vignette

the 50 is a fx lens. You can use the 35 on the d700 with just a minor vignette. Looking at your list of lenses I would go with a D7000 and pick up a used 70-200 2.8.

scorpion_tyr said:
If this is your first wedding I would personally suggest a nice flash if you don't already have one instead of a second body.

Quite the opposite!!! If he only has one body, he MUST get another!!! For the couples sake, I hope they aren't paying for this. You would be a retard to shoot a wedding without a backup body! What would you do if your equipment failed?!?!? I'll tell ya what...prepare for a lawsuit lol. How would you go about explaining to a bride that you have ruined the biggest, most important day of her life?

And if you didn't even know the difference between DX and FX formats, then you probably shouldn't be shooting weddings...at least not for money. I don't mean to be rude, but that's the truth...

they are paying me. i know the difference. im just trying to see bang for the buck. i have 2 mono lights and 3 flashes. just need another body

Bite the bullet and go for the FF! You may not get this close to getting one again for a long while and you are going to love what a FF sensor will do with your lenses.

Kofman13 said:
they are paying me. i know the difference. im just trying to see bang for the buck. i have 2 mono lights and 3 flashes. just need another body

Ok well if you move to the D700, you'll have to buy lenses that support a full frame body...which it doesn't sound like you'll have the funds to do. You should use that money wisely and invest in some quality glass, as it appears (from your sig) that you don't own any. The kit Nikon lens you have is garbage (as I'm sure you know) and the sigma zoom is fair at best. Take that money and at least get the 80-200 2.8. That's in every wedding tog's bag. You don't really need to upgrade your body (unless you just want to have the newest tech( which will keep you broke with that mentality))

If anything look at a D300 and either the 80-200 2.8 or the better 70-200 2.8VR.

Spending the money on quality glass will improve your images WAY more than a D7000, and a D700 you don't have the right lenses for or the money to buy it AND new lenses....but hey...it's your money...do what YOU want with it. Don't come on a message board asking questions that don't even make sense lol

I'll explain further, so you don't think I'm just being a d!ck.

Using a DX lens on an FX body will only give you images of about 5-6 megapixels on a D700...which defeats the purpose of going to a full frame body.

(2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900

Whoah.. im not familiar with Nikon product. So you are telling it is like mounting EF-S lens on a full frame body? (not possible because canon made it a different mount, just theoratically speakinig). Now that is not good. You cant go wide and you must crop your photos if you use prime.

Most reactions

Back