New Camera or New Lenses?

PhotoJunkieJen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
To take better shots, obviously I have to improve my craft and knowledge :lmao:

But equipment counts for a lot as well. :)

I own a 10 mp Rebel XTi with a basic kit lens. I've been looking at 40D's...

I'm wondering if you would recommend upgrading the camera? Or simply investing in better lenses to get better shots?

Looking forward to your opinions. :)

Glass first - always always glass first :)

Glass controls the light entering the recording device (the camera) and thus directly controls the quality of light, amount and also what sight you get through the lens. Upgrading to better glass will give you a much more noticable improvment in quality over upgrading the body.
The XTi is a very capable body and with the right glass on it can give some great results. Of course it needs good hands holding it of course ;)

Since you only have the (rather poor) kit lens you really do need to upgrade some glass - what are your interests, what you you like photographing and do you find yourself wishing for something else. Do you want to do macro, sports or wildlife - things which you current kit can't do. OR do you want to take better shots of what you currently do?

I just love all kinds of photography. I realize that's probably about like enjoying playing all kinds of music... some of the basics carry over... but a lot of what you learn for jazz isn't much good for rock... and a lot of what you learn for rock isn't much good for country. :lol: You have to learn all the nuances of each genre.

But more than anything, I enjoy photographing people in their element... taking creative shots of friends or family... as well as landscapes/nature... and concerts/bands.

I'd love to do macro, I just don't know a whole lot about it currently.

I'm pretty sure Santa is bringing me an external flash for Christmas... so I can save my money for lens stuff. :)

Last edited:
Glass first. I upgraded from a film Rebel G to a 30D. Now I'm looking for glass. Btw, my glass was junk.... but.... I learned a lot with it and now I've learned even more now that I know, good glass.... good glass.... GOOD GLASS!!!!!

-JD-

I don't know Canon, but the "Kit lens" is not necessarily the limiting factor in getting good shots. This fellow here certain proves that.

I would however, upgrade a lens to fit a range you don't have access to if you are thinking about upgrading.

Better quality glass will help immensely. Fast glass i.e. 70-200 2.8 IS, has much better quality elements, giving you sharper images, better color, and contrast.

You'll drop some cash, but much more necessary than upgrading a body.

And BTW, megapixels mean about as much as UV filters. Looks good on the box, but really does nothing for the end result.

So any suggestions for good lenses?
The cheaper the better (for my wallet anyway), buttt I realize that there is a certain amount of cost involved with such a hobby.
So hit me with the expensive stuff too... and I can work out a plan for acquiring all this wondeful (expensive) gear.

Well for a new lens you really need to have an idea what the lens is to be used for since each lens has areas where it performs best.
About the only lens that people do recomend to any user (especailly new users) is the 50mm f1.8 which is a very cheap lens and yet for its price it has a very good quality of image - its built is plasticy and a little weak feeling, but unless you start throwing it around it should last a good long while

I linked the 50mm to a friend today. HIs wife is now going to order it for him. $87 free shipping from Amazon. I bought this lens right after I got my 30D.

-JD-

New camera or lens? We have a "Camera Showoff" thread on my sim racing forum that we exchange photos and comments (mostly ego booster "great shot" comments :D).

One of the guys shoots a 350D (Rebel XT) which is a lesser camera than the XTi? I don't think you can say anything bad about the quality of his shots with the glass he's using....

http://don.vn.cz/photos/countrycross_paskov/12.jpg
http://don.vn.cz/photos/countrycross_paskov/17.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
http://don.vn.cz/photos/countrycross_paskov/20.jpg

His are the finest dirt bike shots I've seen yet since getting in to this photography stuff. His rally races are even better than those I linked to with the dirt bikes.

yep....
lenses. I've seen photos coming from a basic DSLR that far outweigh photos from some of the more advanced cameras. Even using the kit lens doesn't yield even remotely bad pictures, some are actually quite good.
But, I'd start looking through all of your favorite photos on this site (or others) and take note of the equipment the photographer is using to better narrow down your choices... There are A LOT of lenses out there!! This method helped me a ton.
But, all in all, it's how you use the stuff you have... I learned this the hard way. Practicing a technique to keep your hand steady, focusing sharply on the eyes etc.

Now, just know I'm a beginner, so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt... and

And BTW, megapixels mean about as much as UV filters. Looks good on the box, but really does nothing for the end result.

About the only thing worse than the "mega pixel myth", is the opposite side of the coin - that megapixels absolutely do not matter. If this were true, then we'd be running around with 3mega pixel cameras, happy as a clam. The ability to crop and retain detail is of immense value to quite a few people.

About the only thing worse than the "mega pixel myth", is the opposite side of the coin - that megapixels absolutely do not matter. If this were true, then we'd be running around with 3mega pixel cameras, happy as a clam. The ability to crop and retain detail is of immense value to quite a few people.
Bingo. At my daughter's baseball game, I had a Fuji 2650 2 mp and my Aunt had a 6 mp, though a dSLR (D40). We both took identical shots with similar focal lengths through the fence of my daughter out in right field at the time. Mine looked good at a wide angle but with the fence in the way in the foreground. Aunt cropped my daughter to a portrait with her filling the frame. It printed stunningly while if I cropped mine down like that, my daughter was just a yellow blob (yellow and black were the team colors.)

So any suggestions for good lenses?
The cheaper the better (for my wallet anyway), buttt I realize that there is a certain amount of cost involved with such a hobby.
So hit me with the expensive stuff too... and I can work out a plan for acquiring all this wondeful (expensive) gear.

Well if you really mean it when you say you like all forms of photography, then you need to build a kit of quality glass. Choose an area you want to start and buy the best lens appropriate for that type of shot that you can afford and so on and so on.

Here's an idea from one end to the other. I'm still building my kit but for me this how I went.

Super wide angle Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ( actually it arrives today:lol:)

Wide angle /walk around Tamron 18-200 ( this lens overlaps and is next in line to be replaced,It was my first lens)

Normal to tele Canon Ef 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM (excellent glass and quite flexible with adding TC's)

Tele to supertele canon EF 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS USM ( excellent glass but a little slow easily hand held, my most used lens)

Super tele prime Canon EF 400L f/2.8 (uber glass and rocks with 1.4 and 2x TC's, very heavy needs tripod or mono)

These are some good selections and there are many more. A simple kit to start with could be this.
Sigma 10-20
CanonEF 24-70L f/2.8
Canon 70-200L f/2.8 and 1.4 TC

Mind you these are selections are based on buying good glass. You can discover what areas you like best and fine tune your kit from there because all these lenses will easily sell on the used market while low end lenses seem to be hard to sell for any value at all.

Caveat..... This is just my opinion as I'm sure others will have different opinions. Listen to suggestions, research, budget and make your decisions as best you can. Overall have fun learning and try to get the best performance out of your choices.

To take better shots, obviously I have to improve my craft and knowledge :lmao:

But equipment counts for a lot as well. :)

I own a 10 mp Rebel XTi with a basic kit lens. I've been looking at 40D's...

I'm wondering if you would recommend upgrading the camera? Or simply investing in better lenses to get better shots?

Looking forward to your opinions. :)
Unless you were going to opt for a much more user friendly upgrade, treat yourself to the 50/f1.4.

Most reactions

Back