New Camera Time!

narley123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, new to these forums, had a quick discussion question. I’m looking at either getting a Nikon D850, Canon 5D Mark IV, or the Sony A7RIII. I’m at a point where I don’t necessarily have a ton invested in any brand and trying to get a camera that will last me awhile and won’t become outdated next year. Love to hear everyone’s thoughts! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you shoot primarily?

What do you shoot primarily?

I enjoy mainly shooting landscapes, but have found myself shooting more and more concerts and now portraits as well.

Also little camera background, started of with a Canon 70d and then switched to the Nikon D810 which is what I shoot with now. Loved the focus system from the canon for live view and video, but I have fallen in love with the image quality from the D810. I’ve seen that the D850 has taken the focus system from the D5 which is a huge bonus but it doesn’t seem to translate to video focus. 80% of what I do is stills and 20% video.

No camera does it all ... well. Time to get a still for stills and a video for videos.
I agree. I would go for that Fujifilm XH1 for the video.

No camera does it all ... well. Time to get a still for stills and a video for videos.
I agree. I would go for that Fujifilm XH1 for the video.
Really, not the Panasonic?
That would work too. You know I'm a Fuji fan boy....

Yes it seems that’s how things are going, I think I’m going to buy a stills camera first and video later just because I don’t do it that much....decisions, decisions...

D850, D850, D850, D850, D850, D850!!

D850.

Because D850.

Last edited:
The D850 is arguably the best DSLR available on the market today.

D850.

Because D850.
So really. Would you recommend the D850?

Of course. He said landscapes, D850 is great for landscape work and general still shooting which he said he mainly does and video was secondary which the D850 does quite well.

It's best of both worlds.

But I was just being silly.

D850.

Because D850.

Of course. He said landscapes, D850 is great for landscape work and general still shooting which he said he mainly does and video was secondary which the D850 does quite well.

I think it’s a solid camera, just disappointed that Nikon didn’t up their game on video focus. Seems like they are falling behind in that area

D850.

Because D850.

I think it’s a solid camera, just disappointed that Nikon didn’t up their game on video focus. Seems like they are falling behind in that area

I don't see where they are falling behind. Their auto focus has got better. Yeah it's not near Canon's dual pixel AF. Remember Canon has a lot of experience with video cameras, Nikon has always been primarily in the still photography industry. They'll get there someday.

I use manual focus for video, so it doesn't bother me either way.

But go Canon if you truly need the best video AF. I've been tempted to get a cheap Canon system just for video. But I don't do enough of it to justify it. So I'll keep using my Nikon camera for video.

Most reactions

Back