New Camera

Dryfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am about to buy a canon 450d or 40d, if you had the choice again, what model would you buy? I like macro, landscape and portrait photos.
any help would be great. I am looking at both twin lens kits available in these models or should I buy the body only??

Is there a big difference between the quality for an amateur?

The build quality of the 40D is more durable due the mag alloy body. Pic quality is pretty much the same. :D

Thanks Bandit, is this a reason to buy the dearer model? I had heard the body is better quality but if the pics are much the same?? why would you pay more. Are the lenses available for the d40 going to fit on the 450? If this is the case I understand it is the glass that makes the difference.

Thanks Bandit, is this a reason to buy the dearer model? I had heard the body is better quality but if the pics are much the same?? why would you pay more. Are the lenses available for the d40 going to fit on the 450? If this is the case I understand it is the glass that makes the difference.

Well, if you plan on using the camera a lot, better build quality is important.

The lenses fit all Canon modern DSLR's.

Good point Sabbath, very good point.

Image Quality is going to be the same on both. I like my 40D because I feel like it's built like a tank (especially when I added the battery grip to it). The thing is... though most (if not ALL) modern cameras have very good IQ. What you really are paying for are the extras. I don't know the 450D as well as the 40D but off the top of my head the 450D has better Live View (contrast based auto focus), but the 40D has a faster frames a second (6.5 fps) and longer continuous shooting. The 450D is quite a bit smaller so if you have big hands then the 450 might feel small and awkard where as if you have small hands the 40D might be too big and if you do a lot of hiking a big camera might be too much for you. You can fit all the lens that you can on the 450 on the 40 as well (EF-S and EF mounts.)

Well, if you plan on using the camera a lot, better build quality is important.

The lenses fit all Canon modern DSLR's.

That is another thing... I know the shudder life on the 40 is 150,000 shots, and I don't think the 450 is rated that high (I'll go look).

A lot depends on your aspirations and perhaps experience. No digital body is going to last long in the grand scale of things. New and better cameras are being released all the time. For me the 40D is OK for Pro use as a backup body for my 5D within reason, no way would I buy a 450D for pro use. Why? Feel and durability and the less messy menu system the 40D has to offer, the menue and button setup is also the same accross the range on the mag alloy bodies, other than the 1D bodies that is.

Saying all this good lenses are a true investment and the 450D will produce images just as good as a 40D every day of the week. But don't see the cheaper camera as easier to use, it's not.

I recomend getting a hands on feel of both, one will say "buy me":D

I am going to work guys (I am in australia and its 7.30 in the morning) but will have heaps to read at lunch time, thanks very much for all input

I'm sorry... I found that the 40D has 100,000 actuations and I can't find anything solid on the 450D as far as shutter life.

40D has better build. Better viewfinder, faster frame rate, better ergonomics, more controls on the body, more durable and so on. They both have the same IQ but the 40D stays out of your way and instead pleases you while the 450D will occasionally bother you with it's limitations. 40D is fine for pro use but 450D isn't.

Just get whatever is in your budget. Don't forget about lenses.

Also, consider the other brands. Nikon D80 is good, and may I suggest a Pextax K20D and a DA 18-250mm? I prefer Pentax and would personally love to have that combo. The K200D with the 18-55 is also good, better than the 450D at least, IMHO.

Thankyou all very much for great info. Does the camera come with UV or polaroid if I buy a twin lens kit? Or would I need to buy a ploaroid filter to fit on each lens? Thanks.

40D has better build. Better viewfinder, faster frame rate, better ergonomics, more controls on the body, more durable and so on. They both have the same IQ but the 40D stays out of your way and instead pleases you while the 450D will occasionally bother you with it's limitations. 40D is fine for pro use but 450D isn't.

Just get whatever is in your budget. Don't forget about lenses.

Also, consider the other brands. Nikon D80 is good, and may I suggest a Pextax K20D and a DA 18-250mm? I prefer Pentax and would personally love to have that combo. The K200D with the 18-55 is also good, better than the 450D at least, IMHO.

This is certainly still a consideration! Thank you.

I'm sorry... I found that the 40D has 100,000 actuations and I can't find anything solid on the 450D as far as shutter life.

That is an enourmous amount of photos, or is it? Does a pro expect more than that from a camera?

That is an enourmous amount of photos, or is it? Does a pro expect more than that from a camera?

Well... I've had my 40 Since the last part of March and have shot close to 4000 shots with it I believe. So, I have shot about 1000 a month. In a year that will equate to 12,000 (if I keep up with the pattern which I expect to shoot more and more as things come along, and I get more lens to test and things). That would mean that really I would say in 3-4 years I could be up to the 50,000 mark on it. If it lasts 8 years I would be happy as by then hopefully I'll have a nice little landscape portfolio that would support me getting the next best thing and/or lens in the future.

Most reactions

Back