New Camera

timphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been with my 30D canon for several years (since the model came out), It's been a fantastic camera. However can't help but feel its aging a little. I've not been one for megapixel wars, as I'm sure most of us know that marketing game. That being said, 8 megapixels seems a little lacking to me. I bought a 27 inch iMac recently and wow, the monitor is great but the extra resolution means my 8mp photos seems lacking. Sounds like a funny reason to get a new camera, I know. But 99% of the time I, enjoying photos on that monitor so I want them to look good!

60D or 7D would be the logical upgrade but was thinking about the 600D (t3i) for cost reasons, at least until I splurge on a full frame (5d mk...). I know I'll be giving up some body quality and fps but I think the 600d picture will be noticeable better then my 30D. What do you all think, is it a good upgrade?

Sure that is a good upgrade. The 7D is way past the 30D, and the 60 is a good body just shy of the 7D. You'd be happy with either of these after owning a 30D. I had a 40D for years until it took a dump after about a zillion clicks. I have a 50D as a backup to my other bodies (APC and FF) and that is a good worker too.

Thanks, now I'm trying to deside between the 60d and rebel t3i.

Don't know if it helps, but I'm kicking myself now for going with the T3i over the 60D, mainly due to the difference in size (comfort) and the ease of operation (real buttons on the 60D instead of having to use the menu).

As a Canon shooter, I'd suggest the 60D over the T3i.

Thanks, I'm taking a serious look at the 60D and prices.

JS_280 said:
Don't know if it helps, but I'm kicking myself now for going with the T3i over the 60D, mainly due to the difference in size (comfort) and the ease of operation (real buttons on the 60D instead of having to use the menu).

What are some of the buttons on the 60D that you wish you had on the t3i. Coming from the 30D I often used the burst rate, flash buttons and apature, shutter, ISO dials. But I'm far from a pro so I know there was a lot there I didn't use. I do worry however that the look and size will not feel like an upgrade, so I hear you on that one.

Last edited:
Things that 60D has that T3i lacks:

9 cross-type AF points (T3i only has center cross-type)
Drive mode selection button
Metering mode selection button
AF mode selection button
LCD panel on top of camera
Control dial (T3i has 4 directional pads)

JS_280 said:

AF mode selection button

Also, a dedicated aperture selection wheel when in manual mode. That is one of the most valuable features.

JS_280 said:

AF mode selection button

Personally none of these bug me. With quick menu selection and custom menus I can switch these features about as fast as anyone could with their buttons. One dial doesn't bug me as aperture is still easy enough to change on manual. And I never use the top displays anyways. But that's just personal preference

o hey tyler said:
Also, a dedicated aperture selection wheel when in manual mode. That is one of the most valuable features.

Doesn't really bug me. Holding a second button I don't find inconvenient

belial said:
Doesn't really bug me. Holding a second button I don't find inconvenient

No I agree it's not inconvenient. But it is vastly more convenient to have a dedicated wheel. I went from a t1i to a 5D, so I can speak from experience.

When shooting a wedding, or even portraiture, there's much less fumbling around with settings with a dedicated wheel.

I'm not sure any new camera will give you a better image on your screen. The screen res is probably 72ppi. I think 8mp should fill this screen, larger files will be re-sized for viewing. A new camera,any ones mentioned will be an upgrade in picture quality, its just I don't think they will look better on a monitor, even a 27" one. I would ask someone with a high mp camera to give you a full res file and view it before spending money on something that may leave you disappointed

o hey tyler said:
No I agree it's not inconvenient. But it is vastly more convenient to have a dedicated wheel. I went from a t1i to a 5D, so I can speak from experience.

When shooting a wedding, or even portraiture, there's much less fumbling around with settings with a dedicated wheel.

Makes sense. I was just trying to spill out to a person thinking about the switch that the controls of the rebels really aren't that bad. I have the t1i myself and find the controls set up well enough. The features I use the most there are buttons for and the rest I can customize for easy reach. I do wish theyd have put metering where the picture style is.

The LCD on top of the camera and dedicated Aperture dial in manual are things that I could never do without anymore! 60d and 7d are great cameras!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back