New Canon 40D, HELP!!

crystal_lynn

I am sure I sound childish
Reaction score
Website
www.crystallynnphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been taking pictures for 22 years, but never with any fancy equipment. I have done weddings, home parties, oretty much everything with either film or a PNS. I finally am taking the plunge and doing photography full time since we will be closing our scrapbook store in the fall. Since, I am "going pro" I felt I needed the proper equipment.

Well I got all the equipment, but man am I lost! I suddenly can't take a good picture on anything but auto, because I have never had all these settings.

I have two shoots this weekend, so I need help fast. Is there any place online? I did a google search but I couldn't find anything. My local Barnes and Nobles did not have a guidebook...

I did my normal light setup with my son to practice and the pictures are just crap, I must be doing something wrong, and the manuel that comes with the camera is completely useless.

Please help!

I don't own a 40D yet....I plan on buying one soon, but I've got a 40D guidebook that I bought from Barnes and Noble so if you have any specific questions I can probably help. I'm also familiar with the 30D.

However, to get you started on the right track, explain what's wrong with your pics and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.

I must be doing something wrong, and the manuel that comes with the camera is completely useless.
Please help!

Hi, congratulations on a good buy. Without wanting to come across in any kind of negative way, try reading the manual and taking it in slowly. Don't panic. One thing about Canon manuals is they are highly descriptive and as explanatory as can be, in the long run, it will only be the same as reading guides and step by step instructions on a web site or forum.
Try experimenting with the manual setting, with exposures, shutter speeds and ISO's to get the result your after. All will be well with a little trial and error. I wish you the very best.

HI there - could you post some photos to show us what you are doing wrong? Or explain HOW they are bad shots?

Without knowing what you are attempting to do and how it is failing it's hard to give any meaningful advice.

I assume you know about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance as you've been taking pics for 22 years. What parts are you having difficulty with?

I also just got my 40D and it is indeed a complicated super computer until you get the hang of it.

I would also agree to read the manual again slowly.

My advice for this weekends shoot would be to either use AV or TV mode, depending on what you're doing. At least in those modes the camera will set the exposure properly for you. If you move the power button on the camera all the way to the line instead of just the "on" mode it will also let you change the exposure by turning the wheel.....that will give you much more control.

Hope this helps....dont freak out.

Freedbaby

My photos are overexposed in one frame, but then under exposed in the next.

I couldn't even figure out how to get the view screen turned on! LOL I think after my momentary panic and running to the computer for help I will just take the advice to use the AV or TV mode for now.

I deleted all the pics so I can't post them. I will try again tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions and reassurances.

The higher end cameras appear complicated at first, but it still all comes down to aperture, shutter speed, ISO and WB.

My advice is also to take your time and read the manual. Have the camera sitting beside you and try the things you are reading about.

Between now and your weekend shoot takes heaps of shots. Experiment with different settings, and generally 'play' with your camera. Shoot everyday for as long as possible.

My personal experience with new cameras, particularly if they are a new brand to you, is it takes sometime to learn their nuances and quirks. Once you begin to learn what works well with your camera model then you should find that your shots quickly improve - assuming you already have the general photography basics down.

So go and shoots lots and lots and lots.

Pass on the shoots until you can use the camera. A pro should know the camera inside out.

Take things back to basic. How did you shoot with your film camera? Manual or semi auto? Do you know how to read the meter and do you know about metering?

A pro should deliver a product that their customer is satisfied with.

I agree and that will in part come with the other...

I've noticed that my metering is off when I have the metering in evaluative mode. Especially when there are big differences in light and dark. I usually keep it on center weighted or even spot. I'll shoot in Av and if the shot doesn't come out right I'll switch to manual and adjust accordingly. dSLr's definitely aren't an out of the box point and shoot thing. I got my 40D almost 6 months ago and I haven't even used the other settings outside of Tv, Av and manual because alot of it just went over my head. It's going to take some time to learn and practice to find out what your camera is capable of. Also I would recommend shooting in RAW, that way if something is off you can adjust in post production.

This might help some. Canon has an 11 part online manual for the 40D.
Here's part 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back