New Canon Rebel T2i / 550D

I think they should make a 60D instead off multiplying there cheap range. Or even better an affordable full-frame body. Around 1000$. I'd love Canon for that!
I think Nikon has overtaken Canon when it comes to more advanced models.
Geez. A new XX0D every 6 months. There mad. They forgot about original SLR users. The 40D is too old. The 50D is more like a "screw off, damn enthusiasts!". The 7D is for sports. That leaves only the 5D Mk I for me. I can eat my way through a wall faster than get enough money for it.
Thanks for the info, even though it annoys me.

Edit:
Now I became curious about it: The rumors of the 60D say it's just gonna be a video version of the 50D. I hope it's a rumor.
And the 5D Mk I is almost impossible to find.

Last edited:
Meh...I skimmed through the article and it seems to be heavily focused (or at least heavily marketing) the video side of the camera...more creative control, HDMI, EyeFi.

At least they put the iFCL metering they put in the 7D. They said a 3.7 fps drive for fast continuous shooting? As compared to the 3.4 in the 500D?

As with all new bodies, the proof is in the pudding. I want to see high ISO shots compared to current models, image quality and so on.

I think Canon should start skipping 1 and releasing every other camera they want to release.

XT -> XSI -> T2i
20D -> 40D -> 7D

Haven't there been rumours on a 60D? I'm waiting on the 5D Mk iii :)

The 40D is too old. The 50D is more like a "screw off, damn enthusiasts!". The 7D is for sports.

See, I dont fully agree. While advances in technology are great, and getting the latest and greatest is fine, the 40D is a very capable camera. A few years ago, people were shooting weddings and events using 40Ds, doing some amazing work. So why is it too old? Has the way light works changed in a few years?

Ok, the LCD is not as big, the megapix are not as much and the ISO is not as high, but its still capable.

The 7D leans towards wildlife and sport shooters. Just as the 5D MkII leans towards wedding and portraits. But I've seen 5D MkII photos of sports and wildlife that are amazing.

I think society has a fascination with labeling and categorizing things. Its somewhat laughable. I had a discussion with a somewhat younger cousin in a law not too long ago about music. He was saying that his music was xyz type of music, which made no sense. Power hillbilly punk pop...or something like that. Got on a good discussion about labels and the need to put things in silos instead of just saying "its music I like".

/gets off his soap box
:)

I think they make more money from the lower ranges, that's why you see so many more of them. The shop near me doesn't even carry anything above the Rebel range, and they told me that their clientele consider Rebels to be "high end." I agree that the Rebel is a great camera, and I think that this shows that it's Canon's bread and butter.

Yep, entry level DSLR's are all the manufacturers bread and butter. They outsell their bigger siblings many times over.

So with that in mind, its easier to see that video would be more important to the "soccer mom" types. And those are some very impressive video specs.

The photo samples of ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 are not too bad.

I think they make more money from the lower ranges, that's why you see so many more of them. The shop near me doesn't even carry anything above the Rebel range, and they told me that their clientele consider Rebels to be "high end." I agree that the Rebel is a great camera, and I think that this shows that it's Canon's bread and butter.
Absolutely true. They probably sell 50 or 100 Rebels for every XXD camera they sell. And probably 10,000 (or more) rebels for every 1D they sell. The more I think about it, the more I think those estimates are probably very low.

It seems that every time a new DSLR is announced (especially from Canon) there is a wave of backlash throughout the internet gear junkies (which probably includes all of us because we are members of a photography forum ;)). Everyone wants the new model to be a significant upgrade from the previous model....which is rarely is.

I don't mind though, because the way I look at it, the target market for a new model is not people who own the previous model....it's people who own older models...or in the case of the entry level DLSR cameras, people who don't own a DSLR yet.

You have to expect that these cameras are going to include more and more features that we might call 'gimmicky'. That is what the marketing department wants and that's 'probably' what the 'target market' are looking for.

Might explain why everyone has been out of stock on T1i's?

Anyone know when this will actually be available for purchase?

Might explain why everyone has been out of stock on T1i's?

Anyone know when this will actually be available for purchase?
There's no release date as of yet. That means it will be a couple of months at best before anything appears on shelves.

Meh..

It's exactly what everyone expected it to be. The only thing I find to be really cool is the LCD screen. Over a million dots and 3:2 ratio. That's cool. The rest is no surprise.

t2i, d90, 50D. That would be a hard decision if that was you're price range. =P

I saw the specs at work and was excited. I have a 7D but its pretty cool to see a rebel to be somewhat similar. Obviously there is lower end components but they aren't skimping where it counts in the sensor and the processor. Anyone know if its the exact same sensor as the 7D?

To add what people are saying about the video. This is going to be the next big marketer. Like said before, the soccer mom. I work at a Best Buy and the video is something everyone is getting interested in. They always tell me they want better image quality with the capabilities to shoot HD. Most people know its not a replacement for a good camcorder but they value the all in one. I'm calling this now, the video on SLRs will be the new thing. I read that Zeiss (I think) is making lenses catered to SLR video.

I think they should make a 60D instead off multiplying there cheap range. Or even better an affordable full-frame body. Around 1000$. I'd love Canon for that!
They should but I don't see this happening until next September. But they are discontinuing the XS and XSi to my understanding. They are way too outdated. I tell customers of mine that they are good but outdated and to just go up to the T1I unless they really want a cheap camera. They were good but its time to put them to rest. People I've noticed are more inclined to go for the D5000 than the XSi because of price and features. Its not that much more expensive.

Haven't there been rumours on a 60D? I'm waiting on the 5D Mk iii :)

I've been checking the news in anticipation for the MkIII. Has to be soon :waiting:

It seems like it's got all the buzzwords and bells and whistles covered--18 megapixels, iFCL metering, high-spec video, lots of programmed shooting modes on a big honking top-deck dial,and it's still a Rebel; the Rebel series cameras are some of the world's top-selling d-slrs, in all markets. The lower-end models sell in hugely disproportionate numbers compared to the high-end models, and substantially faster than even the mid-tier bodies. it does not shoot very fast, but then 3.7 frames per second at 18 megapixels is a pretty fair amount of data to move off the sensor, process,and write to card,and this camera cannot be equipped with the mondo image processing capabilities of the higher end bodies--that is simply not needed, and would cut into profit margin. I bet it sells pretty well!

It is amazing to me how quickly Canon has iterated the T1i to the T2i--it seems like just over one year since the T1i hit the streets and its successor has already been announced.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back