New Canon Rebel T2i / 550D

It seems that there is another model Canon is going to announce.

Rumour peoples saw 2 new model numbers not too long ago, one turned out to be the T2i. I wonder if the other will be a 5D MkIII as Canon already upped all its other lines...introduced the 7D, 1DMkIV and now T2i. Unless they are going with a 60D?
I'm pretty sure it will be a 60D. We probably won't hear rumblings of a 5D3 until the end of the year.

I expect it is a 60D as well. In general, pro-level model usually has a longer life cycle than the consumer model. So I believe new 5D may need to wait for a little longer.

I expect it is a 60D as well. In general, pro-level model usually has a longer life cycle than the consumer model. So I believe new 5D may need to wait for a little longer.
Yeah, the 5D2 is a year old. They're not going to update it already, but it would be nice. :)

I figure that the 7D was more in line of a 50D replacement. But I guess the 7D became more of a class on its own? So Canon will continue with the Rebel Line, the xxD line, the 7D line (Mk I, MkII,..), the 5D line and the 1D line?

As the 7D is said to be a Sports / Wildlife camera, could we consider Canon having simply made a different branch for a different type of shooter?
Portrait style = Rebel -> 50D -> 5D
Sports style = Rebel -> 7D -> 1D

I figure that the 7D was more in line of a 50D replacement. But I guess the 7D became more of a class on its own? So Canon will continue with the Rebel Line, the xxD line, the 7D line (Mk I, MkII,..), the 5D line and the 1D line?

As the 7D is said to be a Sports / Wildlife camera, could we consider Canon having simply made a different branch for a different type of shooter?
Portrait style = Rebel -> 50D -> 5D
Sports style = Rebel -> 7D -> 1D
Well, until the 7D Canon's entry into the 1.6x crop semi-pro market was kind of weak. Nikon had the D300 with a superior AF system and full weather sealing. The 50D lacked a modern AF system and weather sealing which kept it at the low end of the pro-sumer spectrum or the extremely high end of the consumer spectrum.

Enter the 7D with weather sealing, a 1D4 AF system and 8fps. It's a true pro-sumer that really is a 1.6x pro body IMHO, much like the D300(s).

I would expect the 60D to remain at the super high end of the consumer line-up where it will go toe to toe with the D90.

Yeah, the 5D2 is a year old. They're not going to update it already, but it would be nice. :)

I have to agree. I still watch to see if its the MkIII but I agree its more likely the 60D. The 50D is good but its starting to fall behind what consumers want. People don't want the 50D because it can't do video and I've lost a lot of sales of the 50D to the T1i because of it, despite my best arguments. I feel the unannounced camera is the 60D but I wish and hope it is the MkIII. A guy can dream :)

It'd be nice to have a 5d mk3, hope all will go and sell their 5d mk2. That's my dream.

Here we go with the mega pixels... Don't they know 18mp on a tiny sensor isn't good?

What do you consider tiny? It works great on my 7D.

Most reactions

Back