new desktop computer? ?!

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm starting to feel like its time for a new computer. I've always been a pc guy-i felt like I got more bank for my buck.

My last 2 laptops have been dell xps series; and they have lasted wonderfully. But I have a different set of needs now.

I'm seriously considering a mac mini; either with the 2.3ghz or the 2.6ghz i7 processor, upgrading ram myself to 16gb, and still undecided on the hd- the fusion or an ssd... either way I'd add in a second drive (def an ssd) with the kit from OWC.

*first question*
Is the 2.6 a worthwhile upgrade? (As a matter of fact is the 2.3ghz i7 even worth it over the i5?)

Next is a monitor. I don't believe I need a gargantuan monitor, 21-23" suits me fine. I would like to ideally spend 300 or less on it (200 is even better!)...I've seen offerings from Asus, from NEC, and online reviews keep bringing up the dell ultra sharps.
I have no idea which way to go other than what the Internet says I need
(Ips, led, etc) but the connections lose me on this (thunderbolt vs dvi-2 or dual or whatever, etc etc etc)
Suggestions?

I want to run photoshop (cs5, may upgrade to cc later) while minimizing lag time in processing.
That's about all I need it for. Otherwise I can browse tpf.com on my cell.

Wow. I didn't expect this to go unnoticed for this long.

Nobody owns a mac mini to chime in?

The only place I've seen a Mac mini was at my eye doctors. They seem to like them.

I have a MacBook and love OSX.

I would just get a MacBook if you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at cost factor though, I can get the mini plus a really nice monitor for less than the mac books with the non-retina display

True. But it's not portable. Which is a huge bonus in my book.

However, you can't go wrong with a Mac mini. I hear great things about them.

True. But it's not portable. Which is a huge bonus in my book.

However, you can't go wrong with a Mac mini. I hear great things about them.

I don't need portable for what I need this for. I have a laptop if I need to go somewhere, but I honestly can use my cell for anything I need out and use a laptop/desktop just for photography related stuff.

My real concerns are the processor (i5 vs either of the i7's), if the fusion drive is worth it over an ssd for the same money (I'm already used to storing files externally, I have a 128gb ssd in my laptop so all my files are on portable hd's)

And monitors. I'm clueless on monitors.

I have an older Core2Duo Mac Mini in my living room connected to my 55" TV and home theatre system. It's also the main computer in the house and therefore my photo editing computer as well. Let's just say that LR is quite sluggish on this system. For its age it works surprisingly well, but I'll also be looking at a desktop computer (probably a built PC) with a new monitor for photo editing.

I'm interested to know what works well for people here when it comes to desktop PCs, not to mention some lessons learned in getting a new system. FWIW, a good friend of mine that builds PCs doesn't recommend the i7. He says the difference in performance is not worth the price difference compared to a newer generation i5. Better applying the money saved towards a SSD...

I was just giving you a hard time. It was vis-à-vis an Apple/PC thing and I was trying to be funny. I don't know anything about the costs part. it's no wonder I could never get a job as a comedian. ;)

Jim

When we talk about the mac mini with the i7, is it a quad core multi threaded, or dual core multi threaded? If it isn't the quad with multi, it isnt worth the cost. Also if you dont do video editing you most likely wont need a quad core multi threaded i7. You just wont use it to the level they are made for. I have a Macbook Pro with the Dual Core i7 that multi threads (so lets think quad core for simplicity) and i have a full blown desktop I built with a quad core multi threaded i7 (again think 8 core cor simplicity). The desktop blows the mac out of the water when it comes to PS and Premier but and although it is faster at exporting in LR the Macbook does fine enough while adjusting photos that i just go find something else to do while it exports.

I always buy windows pc's but I might consider a Mac myself next computer because they're less likely to get hit with viruses and Trojans.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back