New Flash or a Tripod?

Aw3033

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I dont have much money to spend, i have to pick one of the two. Which should i get first, new flash, or a tripod?

Depends on what you shoot really...

What do you find yourself missing more?

I asked the same question when I started and I now have a tripod that I rarely use and I'm looking for a flash, I made the wrong choice. :lol:

if youre shooting portraits and stuff, probably flash

else tripod, how much money you have to spend?

Get both used. You wont be happy until you have both. Unless you will only shoot landscapes. or only shoot portraits.

Aye like the others we have to have an understanding of what sort of budget you have to spend as well as the typical subjects/situtaions you shoot/shoot in. In addition some idea of where you feel your current setup is letting you down when you shoot as well as the current gear you have to use.

If your camera has an on camera flash, get the tripod first... Your on camera flash should be able to get you buy until you can save some coin for a new one.

"On camera flash"? *Shudders*... OK, it has it's uses - such as fill-in on a sunny day, or photographing objects - but for people it's normally worse than using no flash.

As others have suggested, your choice should depend on your budget and what you like to shoot ... I work with second-hand flashes that cost me almost nothing, and wireless flash triggers - doing something similar would leave you money for a tripod.

I dont want to spend more than 150...the SB400 is 115-135 depending on where i order it from. Im a beginner so i took pictures around the house for now (to busy to go out and take shots) and posted pictures and everyone was telling me i needed a better flash, thats why i brought this up.

as for what im probably going to shoot more, i would say id be more interested in shooting landscape, anything outdoors.

if you are more interested in landscape, or non-moving objects...get a tripod, and learn exposure...

I'll be the voice of reason......

Put the $150 in a side account and continue to add to it. When the time comes that it's not a strain, then buy what you need.

:biggrin:

...because frankly, the SB-400 doesn't have a lot going for it beyond what the built-in flash can do. I would get a Vivitar 285HV ($90, new) and a $22 eBay radio trigger set. You won't have TTL (through the lens) with the 285HV but you can use it off the camera. Strobist

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For what it's worth, I have (and use) the SB-400 and love it for around the house shots! We have an 11 foot ceiling and I can successfully bounce flash off of it for very nice subtle flash shots. Also get the SC-17 cable so you can use it off camera, the SB-400 is quite handy on a monopod!

For the money it's a keeper, and works quite well!

Other option for around the house shots that I also enjoy is the Gary Fong Puffer, $20 and works with your popup flash.

A lot of people don't care for either one of these, but they also typically have over $500 in flash unit(s), and time to set up their shots. Myself, I don't particularly care to have a huge flash on my camera all the time, although I do plan on getting one down the road.

So should I get a tripod first?

you can snag a decent tripod for $50.
it wont be anything spectacular ready to mount a 10lb lens on, but it should suffice.

you can easily get an off brand flash that swivels and angles, and a decent tripod for 150. youll probably have to use the flash in manual mode, but eh...so what.
thats my opinion anyway.

if i had to pick ONE...
i agree with kundalini...put it aside...save up for a SB600.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=256 some decent stuff there. they even have a 2 flash package with triggers for 189.
is it 2 sb900s and PWs?...no, but it should get you strobin. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back