New guy - Feedback appreciated

Why did you shoot the first two at ISO 800?

And then change the aperture to f/22 and ISO 200 on the third? O_O

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The first 2 (1st one being a different day) were shot later in the afternoon. I bumped up the ISO because I was using a fast shutter speed to keep up with the kids.

The last pic was taken right around 1-2 when the sun was at it strongest. To be honest, I was playing around the settings (still learning) just going off what looked ok...

That being said, I would appreciate any type of advice/feedback to help me progress.

The pose and expressions in the first are great, but the sun glare in the upper right is really distracting. You have to be careful of your background.

Last two are pretty good. The first one I would say pan out some more so you dont clip the kids feet.

Frist of all, welcome! It looks like you are really enjoying your new camera.

I agree with the advice on the crop in #1, I'd like to see their feet.

#2 has a haze about it that I don't really like, and I'm not sure how I feel about his hand being eaten by the bush.

#3 I love. I love the BW conversion, and the moment that was captured.

Can't wait to see more of your beautiful family!

Welcome first of all.

When you post pictures make sure to post all of the exposure info. You only posted the aperture and the iso. Without the lens or the shutter speeds it can be hard to give accurate feedback.

#1 - I think it is decent. I like the sharpness and you nailed the focus. I don't know why it is in landscape rather then vertical orientation. Because of this you cut off the feet. Also the bush coming into the frame on the left as well at the other thing there is distracting. I think the exposure could take a slight bump maybe 1/3 a stop. I would have turned the camera and moved closer or lowered my aperture to shorten the DOF a little.

#2 I like the composition here with the bush line leading my eye to the child. I wish he was looking at the camera though. I don't like the post processing here. What are you trying to translate to the viewer with the hazy/desaturated look? Consider that thought with each image as you take it as well as your processing.

#3 This was my least favorite. The horizon is terribly crooked and they look like they are falling down hill. With the extreme DOF from the f/22 your subject does not separate from the background. Also the subjects that I think are your main focus are not facing the camera nor can you see their faces. This shot needed to be from the other side of the fountain at f/5 or so to get their face and to separate them from the background.

Frist of all, welcome! It looks like you are really enjoying your new camera.

I agree with the advice on the crop in #1, I'd like to see their feet.

#2 has a haze about it that I don't really like, and I'm not sure how I feel about his hand being eaten by the bush.

#3 I love. I love the BW conversion, and the moment that was captured.

Can't wait to see more of your beautiful family!
Thank you for the feedback!

The haze was actually caused by the sun going through some trees; guess it was the way I was positioned. I didn't like it at first, but felt okay with it once I threw it into Lightroom for some processing. I didn't feel great about the child eating bush either, but it was the only way I could get him to stand up for an extended period of time. He's so close (11 months)!

Here's one minus the haze. Sun not an issue here, his hair though... :lol:

Welcome first of all.

When you post pictures make sure to post all of the exposure info. You only posted the aperture and the iso. Without the lens or the shutter speeds it can be hard to give accurate feedback.

#1 - I think it is decent. I like the sharpness and you nailed the focus. I don't know why it is in landscape rather then vertical orientation. Because of this you cut off the feet. Also the bush coming into the frame on the left as well at the other thing there is distracting. I think the exposure could take a slight bump maybe 1/3 a stop. I would have turned the camera and moved closer or lowered my aperture to shorten the DOF a little.

#2 I like the composition here with the bush line leading my eye to the child. I wish he was looking at the camera though. I don't like the post processing here. What are you trying to translate to the viewer with the hazy/desaturated look? Consider that thought with each image as you take it as well as your processing.

#3 This was my least favorite. The horizon is terribly crooked and they look like they are falling down hill. With the extreme DOF from the f/22 your subject does not separate from the background. Also the subjects that I think are your main focus are not facing the camera nor can you see their faces. This shot needed to be from the other side of the fountain at f/5 or so to get their face and to separate them from the background.

Thanks Scuba for taking the time to go through my pictures. I really appreciate feedback like this!

#1 Totally agree with you. This shot had potential but there are many distractions going on there. I need to make sure to think about the complete picture a bit more.

#2 The haze is from the sun that poked through some trees. I went with that type of processing to try and save it. Would a lens hood prevent from getting that haze?

#3 It does look like they're going down hill... Again, another prime example of needing to think it out a bit more before snapping away.

Thanks again Scuba and to everyone else, I will be working on this on the next time out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back