New Guy with Gorillas

MLCIII

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody, new guy here looking to learn more about my hobby. Thought I'd break the ice with a few I took one morning at the Omaha Zoo. Inputs greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3. This one I love despite its obvious flaws. Difficult with the poor lighting and smudgy glass, I had to put it in b&w just to save it. But I think it compliments him very well. He was very observant... Not sure if he was the exhibit or if we were.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. My first impressions: 1) Not bad actually, but watch the cropping - you cropped off the top of his head in this one. 2) Too heavy cropped for me and you have too much shadow in the right eye. Personally, I like to see both eyes in an animal like this, but then maybe that is just me and my preferences - not all would necessarily agree. 3) Not to crazy about the conversion (how did you do it?) as there is no detail on his chest. Also, some of the stuff in the background is a bit distracting. You cropped off his left shoulder, but you did get his face and both eyes very nicely. HTH.

If you are going to shoot a lot of wildlife, you might want to consider finding a few pros that shoot wildlife (Google "wildlife photographers") and look over their work to see what they shoot and how they do it. In doing this, you will learn what you like about their images and what you don't. Check out the likes of Art Wolfe, Frans Lanting, John Marriott, and some of those who photograph for National Geographic.

WesternGuy

Yeah I agree completely with the cropping on these, especially the first one. I went back and looked at the master, and I shot it too tightly. I really wish I would've kept his head in the frame! The first two images are not cropped at all, actually. Just shot tight.
Thanks on the input about the eyes. I see it now (pun intended...) They have very human eyes, and that detail is lost. I have another shot with better eyes:

My gear that day kind of dictated my framing (7D and and a new 85mm prime), but it was a very intimate morning with me being the only person there at the time. I think (hope) the shots reflect that as well.

To answer your question about the b&w image, I just used the built in b&w filter in Aperture. The master is so grainy (ISO6400) and washed out from the light diffracting off the curved glass. Any suggestions on a better route?
Thanks again for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back