New here, would love to learn! (photos for critique)

AMiller21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting horses for years, mostly as a hobby... I recently did my very first people shoot, a friend of mine's engagement. I was happy with some, but definately need practice! I have a Rebel T2i, and use a 70-200 f4 lens currently. I don't have much experience outside of shutter priority, since that's mostly what I use for the horses.
I am open to learning, feel free to critique away! I currently have PSE8, and I'm sure don't know half of what I can do with it. I don't mind anyone editing my photos to show me what they would do, I will not take offense! Got my big girl panties on, so have at it! ;)

$E_IMG_7884.jpg$FB_IMG_7855.jpg$FB_IMG_7976.jpg$IMG_7840.jpg$IMG_7846.jpg$IMG_7848.jpg

These are good. Try to be more consistent with your edit. For example last 3 have different tones. Also, lose the cheesy stuff like the middle one with heart symbol.

Here are a few equine shots, as well.$IMG_3826.jpg$IMG_5012.jpg

I've seen (and taken) a lot worse than these. Keep your eyes peeled for things like the double chin in number 2 that isn't complimentary to the young lady, though the composition of the shot is otherwise very nice. The cheesy stuff is a matter of taste, if the couple likes it, why not? They are the ones that are paying! ;)

These are good. Try to be more consistent with your edit. For example last 3 have different tones. Also, lose the cheesy stuff like the middle one with heart symbol.

Thanks! The heart thing was her idea ;) I am NOT good at PS, I will admit that. I currently have PSE8, and don't know how to do much at all. Since I am trying to teach myself, and try different edits, I find that they are inconsistent. Which area here deals with learning photoshop?

I'm not much good on PS either. I tend to do all the lighting adjustments in Lightroom, cloning in Paint Shop Pro 7 and just use PS for working on digital liposuction and digital botox.

I like #4 the best. These would look great wider and them off to one side. That field looks gorgeous

Maybe it's just me but I like the equine ones a lot more. I like wild-life and nature in general more than people so maybe that's why....

Anyway I would make 2 suggestions:
1. You will always need to have images even more close to the subjects even if you lose the environment. In addition to these kind of images, of course.
2. Less posing is always better for me. Let them interact with each other, no with the camera. In my opinion the camera is not part of their relationship, it's just observing - maybe a little bit like a candid camera. I usually make 2-3 hours sessions if the clients are willing to do it, in nature as you did, and let them just get used to me around and to the place before starting to actually shoot them a lot.

It's not always working but I try to chose those clients that will not only offer me money but a chance to satisfaction with my work too.

Maybe it's just me but I like the equine ones a lot more. I like wild-life and nature in general more than people so maybe that's why....

Anyway I would make 2 suggestions:
1. You will always need to have images even more close to the subjects even if you lose the environment. In addition to these kind of images, of course.
2. Less posing is always better for me. Let them interact with each other, no with the camera. In my opinion the camera is not part of their relationship, it's just observing - maybe a little bit like a candid camera. I usually make 2-3 hours sessions if the clients are willing to do it, in nature as you did, and let them just get used to me around and to the place before starting to actually shoot them a lot.

It's not always working but I try to chose those clients that will not only offer me money but a chance to satisfaction with my work too.

I like the equine ones better, too! LOL That is more my "thing". And more what I will stick to, luckily I am surrounded by horses. I'm not sure if I want to do people, just trying to dabble in it a little for the experience.

When doing golden hour shots, try getting them between you and the sun and using a reflector to illuminate them- they will be beautifully backlit and not squinting. :). I like them though- I'm sure your friend likes them too. (although my first thought in #1 was "looks like she's pooping", sorry). I too find the horse shots spectacular though!

Sending you a private message

The angle for the first pose is not flattering. Looks like she is about to squat and take a .........................................

The first picture was just a candid where she was being silly.... she likes it and that's what matters.

If she likes it, fantastic, but you may not want to flaunt the picture (aka post for comments). I would look at this as a prospective client and think "Dear LORD! what were they thinking!!"

I like the last one the best. I would def take into consideration using the backlight and reflector suggestion to really make this photo pop! Otherwise, it stands out as the best to me.

Most reactions

Back