TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bass guy.jpg
Guy.jpg
T.jpg
Tree.jpg

These were taken with a Nikon D5300. Also My first post on this forum, hoping to learn some things. Ignore The Duck Thumbnail picture, it is not pert of this set.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 87
You've posted 4 completely different pictures; typically if you expecting detailed critique you would post one or two.

Photography is hard.

The first thing one has to do, I think, is to be very, very clear on what exactly is interesting about the planned shot. Then, after that every step - choice of f stop to manage depth of field, choice of shutter speed, placement of the center of interest in the frame, editing - proceeds from that.
Any editing should support the center of interest and should make some sort of sense.

Like any art, photography requires lots of learning, practice and skill development.
The camera does a lot but the most important part of the process is the mind of the photographer.

My overall impression is that these are just pictures, not a huge amount of special emotion or interest coming through to me in any one.

The first is a difficult composition because guitar sticks out at strange angles, you've clipped the end, the image is very noisy, focus isn't sharp, his expression is neutral and emotionless and the wb is off.
The second is sort of the same, you've cut off his feet, included some figures in the back but cut one of them off. There should be a reason to convert this to B&W but I don't get what it is.
The third is a mystery, I have no idea what it is.
The 4th is a branch against the sky. Nothing special and a lot of blah sky.

This is an article I wrote for new photographers, perhaps it will be of some use. 11 Tips for Beginning Photographers - How to Start Taking Pictures

All of these were just quick snapshots, the third picture is the carapace of a tarantula with a 40mm macro lens. I'm not really to the point of getting composition down, I more or less just shoot away at random things I think might be interesting in a photo.
You've posted 4 completely different pictures; typically if you expecting detailed critique you would post one or two.

Photography is hard.

The first thing one has to do, I think, is to be very, very clear on what exactly is interesting about the planned shot. Then, after that every step - choice of f stop to manage depth of field, choice of shutter speed, placement of the center of interest in the frame, editing - proceeds from that.
Any editing should support the center of interest and should make some sort of sense.

Like any art, photography requires lots of learning, practice and skill development.
The camera does a lot but the most important part of the process is the mind of the photographer.

My overall impression is that these are just pictures, not a huge amount of special emotion or interest coming through to me in any one.

The first is a difficult composition because guitar sticks out at strange angles, you've clipped the end, the image is very noisy, focus isn't sharp, his expression is neutral and emotionless and the wb is off.
The second is sort of the same, you've cut off his feet, included some figures in the back but cut one of them off. There should be a reason to convert this to B&W but I don't get what it is.

This is an article I wrote for new photographers, perhaps it will be of some use. 11 Tips for Beginning Photographers - How to Start Taking Pictures

Your second shot, the guitarist, is interesting in that it shows just how critical the background can be in many photos.While the guitar/harmonica player in the forefront is interesting, the VERY strong body language of the man sitting down in the mid-distances, and the headless walking figure exiting the frame; those two background elements are very strong, and add an interesting element of discord and imbalance.

All of these were just quick snapshots, .... I more or less just shoot away at random things I think might be interesting in a photo.
Soooooo... then I would offer as feedback, "Spend time looking for the image, practice composition, consider your backgrounds, and create an image." One really can't offer feedback on random snapshots.

Your second shot, the guitarist, is interesting in that it shows just how critical the background can be in many photos.While the guitar/harmonica player in the forefront is interesting, the VERY strong body language of the man sitting down in the mid-distances, and the headless walking figure exiting the frame; those two background elements are very strong, and add an interesting element of discord and imbalance.

All of these were just quick snapshots, .... I more or less just shoot away at random things I think might be interesting in a photo.
Soooooo... then I would offer as feedback, "Spend time looking for the image, practice composition, consider your backgrounds, and create an image." One really can't offer feedback on random snapshots.
Thanks for your thoughts. i've only been at this for 3-ish months, still lot's to learn. :)

Photography is hard.

Hard for some easy for some, like any pursuit some are naturals and some try hard to do well.
Not all photos have to be art, some are documents like Victor Hasselblad said.
Good shots here, keep doing it and changing what you don't like.

Ha, funny, I didn't even notice them myself. :) Guess they weren't that strong to me.

For me, every good photo tells a story. As mentioned above, give some thought to the story you want to tell. An example is the last picture ... what's the story here? You devoted about half the frame to the sky and the other half to the tree ... what's more important? What do you want tell ... what do you want me to focus on. The B&W guitarist has potential. As photographs is no different than the written word in telling a story ... think of wide angle and telephoto lenses as adjectives. Your timing was good, as the man had a nice expression on his face, but shooting tight with a telephoto would have 'enhanced' the expression to the viewer. Use your lenses, the lighting and your positioning to focus on what you see as important and interesting and to no only bring out the full flavor of the image ... but also to draw the viewer into the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back