New kid (ok, old kid LOL) on the block

Scroller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am fairly new to the game... I have had my T3 for approx. 4 months. I have been having a great time with it, what I really want to do is portraits for people, I want to shoot portraits for people that cant afford a real photographer the difference is I wont charge them for what I do. Having said that I am wondering about your opinions, the local community college offers the following course would this be advisable or would I be wasting my time and money?

Introduces the processes, principles, and tools of digital photography. Topics include the development of technical and aesthetic skills, the elements of design and composition, camera technology, materials and equipment, within an historical and contemporary context.

I guess what Im looking for is to learn about lighting and how to become a photographer (somewhat decent, don't need to be a professional) that can shoot decently haha.
Thanks for your help.

Hey, welcome!

I would think twice about offering your services for free. My advice would just be a hobbyist, and don't try to fill a niche, even if you think you would be doing somebody a service. The reason is you open yourself up to all kinds of abuse. (legal, financial, etc.)

As to the college course; if you've go the money and the time, go for it. You will learn the basics at least, and from there you can begin to develop your favorite area of photography.

Additionally there are quite a few free videos and blogs on the internet that share a wealth of information. Some might be "iffy", but that is where your own experience will help you winnow out the BS from the gold.

Welcome to the forum. Any course that you can learn from surely can't be bad. Enjoy

Thanks for the replies, I will take your advice and sign up. As for the free part...you are correct, my thoughts were towards friends not people I don't know, but you did raise good points. and KMH I look forward to going thru what you posted...as soon as I hit the post button in a second haha, thanks again everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back