New Lens Help

blueguy20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I own a nikon d3100 and a nikkor 18-55mm standard zoom lens that came with the camera, as well as a nikkor 55-200mm zoom lens, both are vibration reduction editions. I am currently trying to purchase a 3rd lens, and i am unsure about what lens is best to purchase at this point. I was thinking about purchasing a wide-angle lens, perhaps the Nikkor 35mm f/2D. I am looking to take more landscape shots, and i was reading that this lens, and wide-angles in general would be good for a certain range of close ups? Not sure about the truth of that statement. Or, i was wondering if i should maybe get a Close Up Macro lens, maybe a Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D. I know that would be great for close up shots in general. Or maybe even a Standard lens like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G. Basically im looking for a little guidance as to what lens would be a good 3rd lens for a beginner in photography but who is looking to make it a serious hobby. My price range is here is at around $550 tops.

Any and all suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated

Thanks

I feel like the 50mm focal length is a bit tight for shooting indoors on a crop body. Your first choice, the 35mm f/2 would be what I would get if I still had a crop-frame body. It gives you the same relative field of view that a 50mm would give you on a full frame body, and it's almost as fast.

The angle of view is determined by the focal length. So your 18-55mm is capable of a much wider angle of view than the 'wide angle 35mm' that you mention.

If you want some that will give you a wider view than you can get with your 18-55mm, you need to get a lens with a shorter focal length...like the 11-16mm Tokina mentioned above. I'd also suggest looking at the Sigma 10-20mm or the Sigma 8-16mm.

for landscape - tokina 11-16 2.8

Last edited:
For portrait I have trouble recommending the 50 mm f/1.8 or any lens with less focal length. the 35 mm will distort a persons facial features (big nose syndrome). People also get into a lot of focus trouble when using shallow depth-of-field and short focal length lenses doing portraiture.

I would recommend the Nikon AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G over the more expensive AF 35 mm f/2D, if you insist on getting a 35 mm lens. The AF 35 mm f/2D is an AF, not AF-S or AF-I lens, and will not auto focus on your D3100 because it doesn''t habe a focus motor in it(your D3100 doea not have a focus motor in it either. The "s" in AF-S means the lens has a focus motor in it. AF-I designated Nikon lenses also have a focus motor in them, but are an older style lens and focus motor).

Last edited:
Your camera doesn't have a focus motor, so you won't have autofocus if you buy a 35mm f2 af-d or 50mm f1.8 af-d

I'd suggest the 35mm f1.8 af-s; it's considered a standard/normal focal length for your camera (50mm is normal for full-sensor cameras). The 35mm af-s also will autofocus on your camera.

Another suggestion is to upgrade your body to something with a focus motor, like a d7000 or d90. You might make your $$ back on lenses if you're the type that likes primes--"AF" primes are a lot cheaper then the new "AF-S" versions.

For portrait I have trouble recommending the 50 mm f/1.8 or any lens with less focal length. the 35 mm will distort a persons facial features (big nose syndrome). People also get into a lot of focus trouble when using shallow depth-of-field and short focal length lenses doing portraiture.

I would recommend the Nikon AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G over the more expensive AF 35 mm f/2D, if you insist on getting a 35 mm lens. The AF 35 mm f/2D is an AF, not AF-S or AF-I lens, and will not auto focus on your D3100 because it doesn''t habe a focus motor in it(your D3100 doea not have a focus motor in it either. The "s" in AF-S means the lens has a focus motor in it. AF-I designated Nikon lenses also have a focus motor in them, but are an older style lens and focus motor).

You forgot to point out that the 50mm f1.8 you suggested will also not auto focus on a D3100. He would need the $500 50mm f1.4 G af-s to maintain autofocus.

I love the 60mm micro lens.It takes great close ups and is a good walking around lens too.
I have the older 'D' version but the new version would AF for you.

I was checking out the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 super-wide fisheye and it seems like a pretty solid lens. It's around $600 and considering it's a fisheye zoom that sounds like a bargain. However, i have read a few things that say its auto focus wont work with the Nikon d3100? I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Or, have a reasonable alternative to that Tokina lens, a fisheye lens seems like a really fun lens to pick up and they have me interested. I really don't think i can afford the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye for around $780 or so, and that isn't zoom, which i like a lot with the Tokina.

Also, is it worth it go for the Nikkor AF-S Micro 60mm 2/2.8 ED over the Nikkor AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D?

I forgot to add this: If the auto focus on the Tokina fisheye indeed does not work with my nikon d3100, is that a problem that should deter me from buying it? I use manual focus with my current two lenses almost all the time. Im just making sure the lens will work properly with my nikon.

Most reactions

Back