New lens

natethebosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I only recently started photography when I bought a Canon T5 and have used a kit 18-55 mm lens until now. I have looked at several different lenses in my price range of $300. Some lenses I have looked at have been the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6, Canon 24 mm f/2.8, Canon 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 or Tamron 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3. If anyone can recommend one of these or another lens in my price range (prime, zoom or telephoto). I'm just looking for a good second lens.

Last edited:
What type of photography are you interested in doing with this new lens and where is the kit lens letting you down?
Answering these two questions will narrow down if you need to get a new lens yet. If you would benefit from a new lens it will help determine what focal range would be a good choice.
One this info is known it will narrow the lens selection from many to only a few. Making it easier to suggest a good next lens.

I am interested in landscape and portrait photography but also just generally take photos while on trips. I find the zoom on the 18 - 55 mm lacking when trying to get a close up when not close enough.

I am interested in landscape and portrait photography but also just generally take photos while on trips. I find the zoom on the 18 - 55 mm lacking when trying to get a close up when not close enough.

"not close enough" implies you want a 1:1 macro lens
Canon 60mm 2.8 macro, Canon 100mm 2.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 etc

By close up when not close enough do you mean you want big pictures of tiny things (macro), or that you want close pictures of far away things (telephoto)?

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

I only recently started photography when I bought a Canon T5 and have used a kit 18-55 mm lens until now. I have looked at several different lenses in my price range of $300. Some lenses I have looked at have been the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6, Canon 24 mm f/2.8, Canon 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 or Tamron 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3. If anyone can recommend one of these or another lens in my price range (prime, zoom or telephoto). I'm just looking for a good second lens.

I have both the Canon 55-250 and Canon 24mm pancake listed here. The 55-250 is perfectly adequate for personal enjoyment level photos, but the variable f-stop is slow and limiting, so budget for a good tripod.

I bought the 24mm f2.8 for my birthday in April and I LOVE this lens!!! Sharp, light, fast, quiet, bright. It's my perfect walkabout lens these days, but there is a learning curve when moving from a kit zoom to a prime, and every lens has its limitations. This lens will not get me a close up view of a lighthouse if I'm across the bay, but I can get the whole room when space is limited.

When I choose a lens to go out with, I accept that there will be some shots I miss (sorry awesome red tailed hawk flying, I'm wearing a short focal prime today).

I have both the Canon 55-250 and Canon 24mm pancake listed here. The 55-250 is perfectly adequate for personal enjoyment level photos, but the variable f-stop is slow and limiting, so budget for a good tripod.

I bought the 24mm f2.8 for my birthday in April and I LOVE this lens!!! Sharp, light, fast, quiet, bright. It's my perfect walkabout lens these days, but there is a learning curve when moving from a kit zoom to a prime, and every lens has its limitations. This lens will not get me a close up view of a lighthouse if I'm across the bay, but I can get the whole room when space is limited.

When I choose a lens to go out with, I accept that there will be some shots I miss (sorry awesome red tailed hawk flying, I'm wearing a short focal prime today).

Thank you, this is very helpful. I don't know if the 55 - 250 mm will work, I will have to keep looking. Might have to pick up the 24mm though.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I don't know if the 55 - 250 mm will work, I will have to keep looking. Might have to pick up the 24mm though.

One thing you can do to "try" a 24mm prime is to set your kit zoom at 24mm and then walk around and do some shooting to see if you like the focal length. You just have to really remember not to move your zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back