New Lens

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a new lens. My current two lens I have are the 70-200 2.8 IS which I love! Especially during wedding ceremonies. But, in my small studio it is hard to use especially on kids and tough on my arms! So the lens I use mostly is the kit lens 17-85. Now that it is fall I am getting a lot of darker images outside and my family shots indoor at weddings are a lot darker. I have the 580 flash, but I am not always very happy with it. I am constantly having to lighten my pictures. I need to have it check out to see if it is working properly. I shoot raw so most of the time it isn't a problem, just annoying! But anyways I am needing to get another lens so I can hopefully use my kit lens for a backup at weddings. I like the 17-85 especially when doing kids and seniors so should I just look for a faster lens? Any suggestions?

Yes a nice prime like Matt suggested, or maybe a faster zoom to match your 70-200 if you can afford it...

By the way, from your description it doesn't sound to me like your flash is faulty, just fallible like any auto-exposure system... in these situations you could try switching to manual and taking control over the flash output, since it's generally better to start with a good exposure than to correct for underexposure later.

On top of all that has been said you could use in-camera custom curve according to your needs to get the results you're after.

Having your pictures too dark (or too bright) most likely isn't a lens issue...especially when using flash. Canon E-TTL flash metering is confusing to understand at the best of times. It's not uncommon for people to use positive FEC on a regular basis. I suggest spending some time to figure out if you can use your flash more effectively. HERE is a good place to start.

Still, it's a good idea to have a nice fast lens for weddings or even for studio shooting if you want to have a narrow DOF. The 50mm F1.8 is a good start but it's a rather cheap lens. If you can afford a better quality lens, I'd certainly suggest it. The Canon 50mm F1.4 for example. I have the Sigma 30mm F1.4 and it's a great lens...I haven't even looked at my 50mm F1.8 since I got the Sigma.

I also have the 17-85 IS lens...and it's just not fast enough for weddings.

The ultimate combo for Canon 'crop' cameras and shooting weddings is the 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS (which you have). If you want the best lens for the job, the 17-55 is probably it.

50mm f/1.8

The good thing about this lens is that you can just skip dinner and a movie and pay for it, you don't have to actually worry about the money since it is so darned cheap...

Buy it AND whatever other lens you want...

I don't know enough about Canon lenses to comment otherwise, except that the letter "L" is good.

Not sure what body you're shooting with (fill out your profile!) but you might also consider the 24-70mm L f/2.8, a fabulous lens.

I have the Canon 50mm 1.8 which I agree is a must have for anyone that shoots Canon. You just can't beat this lens for the price. I also have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 that is a great lens. I got it because I couldn't afford the Canon equivalent. If you have the money, get the canon, if not, take a look at the Tamron. It's a great lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back