New member, few questions about pictures

You can argue all day what will help him learn, I answered his initial question regarding sharpness.

Actually you didn't because his shutter speed was much faster than needed in the first place.

He asked if he should raise the ISO in the same conditions as those 2 photos were taken in. The answer is no, the only thing it would do is reduce the image quality. He doesn't need to shoot at 1/640.

Even the slower shutter speed on the overexposed shot was 1/160.. And the kit lens has VR doesn't it? With VR he could get sharp photos at 1/10.

If those 2 photos are not sharp it's most likely a missed focus point (especially if he's letting the camera choose) or softness cause by a limitation of the lens quality.

I would suggest trying the lens with a smaller aperture (larger number...) like f/9. Most likely it will take sharper photos when stopped down a little, most lenses have a 'sweet spot.'

I told him to put his camera on program (Auto aperture) and set the MAX ISO at a higher setting. That is what I told him to do. I did not tell him to leave the aperture setting as it were and raise the ISO.

Yes, that will give him sharper images. It would give anyone sharper images. (Try it for yourself. You're using a T2i and could probably run 1600 ISO noiseless anyway. )

As recent graduate from the D3000, do not max out your ISO. The noise is not worth it. You won't get a clean shot, just a lot of noise and your head sunk in your hands. Anything above ISO 400 in low-light and overcast days will give you noise.

How I started with aperture settings, start with the lowest and work up. Review what each stop gave you with depth of field. Use your feet and change positions. When I see your first set, I see moving to the right, crouching, slightly tilting camera up and setting at 5.6 and lower. You'll get the tree contrast with a slight bokeh to make the car pop.

On the plus, I loved the D3000. Easy to use and allows you to really max out the settings and get your feet wet. Enjoy it!

ivomitcats: please refrain from giving any more advice until you know what you are talking about.

Again, explain what about "Raising your ISO above nothing gives you more noise, but gives you sharper picture" is incorrect?

Again, explain what about "Raising your ISO above nothing gives you more noise, but gives you sharper picture" is incorrect?

Well, for a start that sentence makes no sense. Secondly, you are suggesting that the OP raise his ISO to improve sharpness - that is, on no uncertain terms, incorrect. You only ever need to raise the ISO if shutter speed falls too low. The OP's shutter speed of 1/320 is plenty fast enough to leave the ISO at the lowest value.

I already addressed altering the shutter speed.

Where? All I see is you talking a load of nonsense about how increasing the ISO will make the shot more 'crisp', whatever that means.

Someone needs to read up on "Understanding Exposure" :er:

Raising ISO DOES NOT give you a sharper picture :er:

It would be one thing if you didn't know you were wrong told that person something and then realized you were wrong and corrected yourself... Doing this and arguing your idiotic point is something else.

Taking a picture is not a science. All the setting, shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc. all effect each other. There is no perfect balance or setting. Although you want to keep the ISO as low as possible because it has less grain. ISO, well how I like to think of it, is how your camera perceives light. The higher the ISO the brighter the pictures but also the more grain you will get. ISO has NOTHING to do with sharpness. NOTHING.

It would be one thing if you didn't know you were wrong told that person something and then realized you were wrong and corrected yourself... Doing this and arguing your idiotic point is something else.

Taking a picture is not a science. All the setting, shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc. all effect each other. There is no perfect balance or setting. Although you want to keep the ISO as low as possible because it has less grain. ISO, well how I like to think of it, is how your camera perceives light. The higher the ISO the brighter the pictures but also the more grain you will get. ISO has NOTHING to do with sharpness. NOTHING.

Actually, it does. By increasing the ISO, you are introducing noise. This reduce the detail level of a pic. causing you to LOSE sharpess, not INCREASE it. If Ivomitcat wanted to help the OP, he should have recommended the book "Understanding Exposure" so he can learn. And while he's at it, he should read it himself instead of spreading false information :er:

Actually, it does. By increasing the ISO, you are introducing noise. This reduce the detail level of a pic. causing you to LOSE sharpess, not INCREASE it. If Ivomitcat wanted to help the OP, he should have recommended the book "Understanding Exposure" so he can learn. And while he's at it, he should read it himself instead of spreading false information :er:

Well what I meant is increasing sharpness :p You nitpicker!

Fine let me rephrase that "RASING ISO has NOTHING to do with sharpness. NOTHING. Better? :lol: :hug::

I also found his "Your first problem the D3000 itself" or whatever. The D3000 is better then the D40 he has. Well at least it explains invomitcat's pictures are also so noisy and in my opinion not good, noise wise that is.

:lol: color me jaded after reading Ivomitcats posts in this thread :er:

So changing aperature is asinine eh? I could have swore one of the major part of photography is the controlling of light.

Oh...and wow...the D3000 sure is no good...

Nikon D3000 Review Samples: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

First thing he needs to learn is a great picture can be taken with an 100 dollar P&S. It's not the camera, it's the photographer.

Although awesome gear does help. :p

First thing he needs to learn is a great picture can be taken with an 100 dollar P&S. It's not the camera, it's the photographer.

Although awesome gear does help. :p

I'm new to photography and still havent got my brthday dslr camera but i had taken good pictures with my P&S camera (at least i think they are good) so i totally agree it's not ONLY about the camera. the camera doesnt take pictures,the photographer does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back