new photographer seeking advise!

Don't forget to bump the ISO up past 200 when you decrease the aperture or you'll have dark pics.
Maybe, maybe not; it really depends on the lighting situation. Rule of thumb is to always keep the ISO as low as you can while still getting the shot you want.

What do you mean "The Rules of Good Portraiture"? ....
Derrel, that other thread was locked for a reason, could we please let the discussion die or take it somewhere else? This is new photographer who wants to learn. Venting because of a bruised ego isn't going to help anyone.

What do you mean "The Rules of Good Portraiture"? ....
Derrel, that other thread was locked for a reason, could we please let the discussion die or take it somewhere else? This is new photographer who wants to learn. Venting because of a bruised ego isn't going to help anyone.

Judging from your invective in "that other thread",and your personal ad hominem attacks on me, you're the one with the bruised ego, Mr. Tired...your behavior showed me what you're really made of. I seriously do not appreciate your condescension. You acted like an A-hole in that thread. Repeatedly

Add something to the discussion, okay. If you want to whine, PM me.

How about this link: Jane Momtographer | Facebook

and of course, who could forget the CLASSIC Giggles and Cutie Pumpkins Photography

There's quite a bit of writing about photography available. In books. On web sites. At community colleges. At universities. Community centers.

Derrel, don't know what's gotten into you lately, but please get your head out of your a$$ and delete the two ridiculous posts in this thread, please.

ROFL! Giggles and Cutie Pumpkins....... /facepalm

that's like a joke right?

Don't forget to bump the ISO up past 200 when you decrease the aperture or you'll have dark pics.
Maybe, maybe not; it really depends on the lighting situation. Rule of thumb is to always keep the ISO as low as you can while still getting the shot you want.

Agreed, I was assuming similar lighting conditions. Some of the original photos posted here I thought were a bit dark anyway. OP, it may sound dumb, but using a flash outdoors can make a HUGE difference. If you don't already have a speedlight, you should strongly consider getting one.

ADVICE.

Even so called 'natural light' photographers use lighting aids like reflectors both outdoors and indoors.

Visit Youtube and look at some videos of pro's shooting outside. They use big lights, light modifiers, diffusers, scrims, reflectors, and other tools to get the lighting just so.

Actually, shooting outside often requires as much, if not more, gear than shooting inside.

Last edited:
ADVICE.

Even so called 'natural light' photographers use lighting aids like reflectors both outdoors and indoors.

Visit Youtube and look at some videos of pro's shooting outside. They use big lights, light modifiers, diffusers, scrims, reflectors, and other tools to get the lighting just so.

Actually, shooting outside often requires as much, if not more, gear than shooting inside.

This would all depend about when you go outside and where your shooting. Go try it sometime. You might like it.

ADVICE.

This would all depend about when you go outside and where your shooting. Go try it sometime. You might like it.
Been there, done that, and to often the light just sucks and/or isn't where I want/need it.

Pro's often don't get to choose where or when, nor have the timeto sit around and wait to shoot only during the 'golden' hours, instead having to create 'golden hour' outdoor lighting all day long.

Wow...I didnt realize this thread would cause so many disagreements when I posted it. So Im sorry for anyone reading it. But let me just say that I am no where near a pro. Just a girl who loves having a camera in her hand and loves to learn. I would love to have the money to buy all the equipment I want/need, but unfortunately I am just a poor college kid and need to make due with what I have. With that being said, I appreciate the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I have gotten.

Most reactions

Back