New Site feature proposal - Encouraging our younger photographer members

Bitter you raise a good point, which is why this is being left open for debate before we do anything. If you've ideas how we could approach this without segregation (which I would hope wouldn't happen) being a concern.

Is it segregation if you're not keeping the kids in, but keeping the old people out?

I don't see anything else having much hope of working.

You still haven't answered my question as to what about the current setup ISN'T friendly to minors.

Honestly I am glad this place isn't overrun by youngins talking about Justin Beaver and Nintendo game stations. Its refreshing to talk to mature professionals who actually have experiences to share.

If the youth demo is something that is wanted expand the off-topic area to include memes, partial nudity and profanity.

p.s. not trying to be a dick.

Bitter you raise a good point, which is why this is being left open for debate before we do anything. If you've ideas how we could approach this without segregation (which I would hope wouldn't happen) being a concern.
Honestly, I didn't think it needed approached. I am not sure what you are trying to gain.
Either you are trying to create a "safe space" for young adults, where they are expected to be coddled, and supporting that with heavy handed Mod action, OR you are trying to incorporate them into the site as equals to be treated as equals. I think so much comes down to personality and expectation of the younger user for the latter, and that's outta your hands. (I am not even going to use the word maturity here, cuz, well, you know)

Like that kid from the UK that posted recently, that asked how to sell more photos, and never replied for any number of reasons.
How would that thread have been handled in the "Kids Club" area? Was he ready for the truth? Could he handle the truth? I don't think the replies overall were rude. Most of them were honest and helpfull, whether that's what he wanted to hear or not. So the question to you is, what should be done differently in that example? Would he have been better served with a seperate section, or careful moderating of the responses? Would the responses have been different in the young adult section? Should the responses have been different?

Last edited:

I would only consider it 'segregation' if anyone under 18 was forced to post only to that area. If they were free to post anywhere (Ceptin' for the nudie section), then that would be fine with me.

Honestly, I didn't think it needed approached. I am not sure what you are trying to gain.
Either you are trying to create a "safe space" for young adults, where they are expected to be coddled, and supporting that with heavy handed Mod action, OR you are trying to incorporate them into the site as equals to be treated as equals. I think so much comes down to personality and expectation of the younger user for the latter. (I am not even going to use the word maturity here, cuz, well, you know)

Like that kid from the UK that posted recently, that asked how to sell more photos, and never replied for any number of reasons.
How would that thread have been handled in the "Kids Club" area? Was he ready for the truth? Could he handle the truth? I don't think the replies overall were rude. Most of them were honest and helpfull, whether that's what he wanted to hear or not. So the question to you is, what should be done differently in that example? Would he have been better served with a seperate section, or careful moderating of the responses? Would the responses have been different in the young adult section? Should the responses have been different?

Bingo.

What are we all here for?

To become better at our passion/hobby/profession. I say pulling punches and sugarcoating will hurt a young persons development. Should we drop harsh realities on every kid with a xmas DSLR and a dream? Probably not, but we can be fair and just in our responses.

.......... Should we drop harsh realities on every kid with a xmas DSLR and a dream? Probably not, but we can be fair and just in our responses.

If they can't "take it" here, they sure aren't gonna be able to "take it" in the real world.

.......... Should we drop harsh realities on every kid with a xmas DSLR and a dream? Probably not, but we can be fair and just in our responses.

If they can't "take it" here, they sure aren't gonna be able to "take it" in the real world.

Exactly. Should we do away with photo contests because it hurts people feelings? Should we give everyone an award for just posting a photo?

I guess I just don't get what this is about really.

If you want to go all out young adult friendly, moderate the bejesus out of this site, just like, oh, I dunno...FroKnowsPhoto.Com?

CGibson would last like, maybe 15 minutes there.

Exactly. Should we do away with photo contests because it hurts people feelings? Should we give everyone an award for just posting a photo?

Should the forum be titled, "Everyone Gets an A!"? :er:

Is it segregation if you're not keeping the kids in, but keeping the old people out?
I would only consider it 'segregation' if anyone under 18 was forced to post only to that area. If they were free to post anywhere (Ceptin' for the nudie section), then that would be fine with me.
The above sumarizes what I was thinking. Under-18 kids should be able to post wherever they want as usual, but the over-18 crowd would not be "allowed" in the teen galleries.

The above sumarizes what I was thinking. Under-18 kids should be able to post wherever they want as usual, but the over-18 crowd would not be "allowed" in the teen galleries.

Sorry man but that makes no sense. The whole point is to get feedback from those that are better than you. Not to blow smoke but excellent photographers like yourself are why I joined in the first place. To not be able to get feedback from the masterclass would be a shame and dare I say a crime.

That's fine.

But what does it accomplish?

It's not about "can they take it?" it's about "do they want to take it?"

And the answer is, mostly, they don't. They don't want a bunch of grey haired fat dudes telling them their histograms are wrong. The ones that do, they'll post freely wherever. Most kids want to hang out with other kids, not at the old folks home where they can be harangued by old dudes.

We can pretend that we're toughening them up with a dose of reality for the real world etc etc, that's a song that gets sung on TPF a lot as rationalization for being jerks. It's completely missing the point - tough love, whether real or fake, doesn't work at all when the targets can and do simply leave.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back