New Site feature proposal - Encouraging our younger photographer members

One other note, I had my students signed up on a photo forum with the designation as student and they got really good, strong feedback...which was good because they got to hear from others what I was telling them as well..these young folks need reinforcement and encouragement...and an occasional kick in the arse.

The above sumarizes what I was thinking. Under-18 kids should be able to post wherever they want as usual, but the over-18 crowd would not be "allowed" in the teen galleries.

Towards what end? If they want help, they must come to the Big Boys N Girls forums and post there.... the experienced folks here would not be able to help them if they're squirreled away from us. That would relegate the Kiddy Table to nothing more than gossip about who's kissing who, what to wear to school tomorrow and who got beat up on the bus.

That would relegate the Kiddy Table to nothing more than gossip about who's kissing who, what to wear to school tomorrow and who got beat up on the bus.

Your age is showing...I won't tell you what kids these days are doing.

In the photo above, two of the students represented on the board went to Savannah College of Art & Design on $18,000 a year scholarships to study photography. The sunflower alt print and the one of the old black woman in the very top left got the girl who shot and processed them over $8,000 in scholarships and entry into Florida State University as a Photo major. The one of the kid with the derby on, in suspenders got a full ride RISD (it was a self portrait). These were just ordinary kids who wanted to learn...I think we should give them a chance but a chance which allows them full participation on their part and a little temperment on ours.

Your age is showing...I won't tell you what kids these days are doing.

Tell me......... but in the Old Geezer's forum.
phiphi.gif

I think some subforums that are dedicated to younger shooters is a fine plan. I would actually restrict it to them. Yes, yes, then they won't get the help that us older people would so willingly give them. Guess what? They don't want our help.

Possibly allow people who want to be "mentors" to post, but only after they've explicitly agreed to a pretty stringent code of conduct that's aimed to make them not be pompous asses or outright bastards to the younger people, and to also behave in a way that the kids won't hate (whatever that means). Probably it means only replying to direct questions with concise and non-judgmental answers.

But, basically, it would be a kids-only space.

I like the idea of a mentor and yes stop the knowledgeable pompous ass from being too harsh even if what they say is true. As you say concise and non-judgmental answers is the solution.

I am of the older generation working with teenagers on a daily basis, and I guess that the following is true for teenagers of all ages. (an attitude that may benefit everyone)
It is true that even them will want to be considered equals in the forum and measure themselves against the old timers.
and while they seem to like to be among themselves, they do seek advice from the older ones, advice without judgement or criticism.
I think that if we want to help the kids we have to comment with tact, perceive their goal, acknowledge their good points, accept that they will change the rules, and appreciate their creativity.
I personally like this forum because it is straight to the point. But some younger ones might not have enough experience to understand what was learned over the years by a professional, they are just building their tough skin.

Love the idea of helping young photographers. Great idea, whoever had it!

Last edited:
This discussion kind of died on the vine...oh well.

There's no rush, its not even been up for 24 hours yet so there is still plenty of time for more people to join in and add their input.

Most reactions

Back