New SLR’s to collect

Thanks for the heads up

The N90x/F90x and especially the 801s/8008s are worth a look, provided they're clean and affordable. The N90x/F90x had a nasty problem with the finish on the film door turning to sticky goo--not a problem with the closely-related 801s/8008s.The F100 is highly sought after and usually overpriced. Not worth the premium IMHO. Be aware that only Ai/AiS or Ai-converted manual lenses work on these cameras, OK?
Another vote for the F90x. My fav all time camera. This was the Nikon pro camera for a period used by the world's pros when the F4 became too outdated and the F5 was not ready yet.

The F90X is a LOT cheaper then the F100

Pentax made much more than just the K1000. The SF series, the Z/Pz series, and the MZ series cameras are auto focus. They are solidly built and the picture quality stands up to the more famous Nikon or Canon equivalents, but they don't come with the prestige pricing. I'm sure you can find a good Pentax with lens in good condition for your budget. Pentax cameras - Wikipedia

Pentax made much more than just the K1000. The SF series, the Z/Pz series, and the MZ series cameras are auto focus. They are solidly built and the picture quality stands up to the more famous Nikon or Canon equivalents, but they don't come with the prestige pricing. I'm sure you can find a good Pentax with lens in good condition for your budget. Pentax cameras - Wikipedia
Agree. With repair resources dwindling/disappearing, non-trophy film cameras are bordering on disposable. Makes sense to buy the newest/best quality your budget allows and brands like Pentax can deliver more for the $$$ than Canikon. No regrets for buying several good quality examples of favorite bodies a decade+ ago when many film camera prices cratered.

At least one of the early Pentax autofocus models, either Pz2 or Mz2, had plastic gears in the motor, 2 of which broke while trying to pull Efke KB-14 film, which was stiffer than most other films. I felt bad because I had given the owner the roll of film, so I took the camera to my local repair shop and saw the damage. After Pentax gave the lady a new camera (it was only a couple of weeks old), she traded it in on a Nikon N8008. The cheap plastic body Pentax lenses delivered very good IQ, though. Not sure how durable their motors were.

I was wondering when someone other then Nikon people would show up. I will look at the Pentax MZ series cameras. Any Olympus fans out there want to chime in?

So if I want AF Olympus I have to go digital?

So if I want AF Olympus I have to go digital?
No, but...

For autofocus back in the day there were the big four: Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax. They all made great cameras. If you are stocked up on Canon/Minolta, wish to avoid Nikon, Pentax is the obvious choice. I know of two Pentax Z-1 owners back in the day that both loved, and I mean loved, their Z-1's. Contax also made the NX.

Interesting read. I like the look of the OM707. I looked them up on eBay and they are priced high considering the poor review Mr. Osborne has given them. I don’t think I want to pay that much for what is effectively a Canon EOS 750. Guess if I want Olympus I stick with MF or go digital. Thanks for the link and Olympus information.

Wonder if the Canon EOS 620 & 650 will ever be collectible? Some of the first EOS line. Still have my 620 (semi-functional) from college. Pentax K-1 might be collectible one day as its the first Pentax full frame digital.

I've purchased a couple of used Nikon F100's over the years and both were superb when they worked, but the electronics on both failed after only a year or two. Ironically, I have since purchased two (much cheaper) Nikon N80 cameras and both are still ticking, despite being an older model, and being less robust body designs.

Yes, they both had the sticky rubber issue, which about an hour with rubbing alcohol and a rag resolved. The film back door hinges have a terrible reputation for being fragile, so I'm careful with that. This camera autofocuses nicely, and accepts many older nikon f-mount glass, along with more modern autofocus lenses. Here is a lens compatibility chart: Nikon Lens Compatibility by Ken Rockwell

These cameras can be picked up (body only) for well under $100.00 on ebay.

I'm going to throw in another vote for the Nikon F90X. My brother gave me a gently used one as part of my Christmas present several years ago, and it's chugged along well ever since. The sticky back problem can be remedied with a piece of stiff plastic card and some 90% isopropyl. The camera is auto-focus capable and allows a very wide latitude of manual control. You have to get used to the buttons and dial menu system, but it's not too steep of a learning curve.

In the past, my now ex-MIL gave me her N8008 when she upgraded to something else. This was probably 20 years ago. It came with a basic Nikon AF kit lens. It had a similar setup to the F90X I have now. Sadly, the many trips it had taken to the beach over the years had allowed salt air and possible spray to start their work corroding its innards, so I didn't get to use it more than three or four years before it started having issues. Kept the kit lens though.

My brother uses mostly Canon gear, both film and digital, for his photography, and probably has since his early student days in the mid-90's. He said that Canon's AF can beat Nikon's even though Nikon has worked on their technology over the years. I've never used Canon, nor any other AF SLR, so I can't speak to anything else.

-Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back