New Tamron Macro

f2 lens
working distance of a 100mm lens
internal focusing

Considering that the Tamron 90mm is a very strong macro lens I fully expect this lens to nuke the canon efs 60mm straight out of the water. Of course time and shots will tell, but I do expect this of them. It certainly has strong features that are not present in the shorter focal length macro lenes (inner focusing) as well as good working distance.
Honestly its only weakness that I can see is that it won't take to a fullframe camera, but honestly for many this is not a limitation at all and I expect it to be a strong condendor for macro shooters on crop sensor cameras.
Heck I saw the details for this not long after I got my Sigma 70mm macro - which now only has 2 features over the tramron - fullframe compatabilty and teleconverter (sigma brand) compatabilty and the tamron might very well fit teleconverters too - I have no idea at the moment.

Overall I think this is a serious move by Tamron to take a hold in the macro market and be a bit more than just the cheap (but still good) option in the 90mm or the often ignored 180mm macro.

Most reactions

Back