New to photography comments welcome

rzims

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, my daughter and I took an intro to photography class and I bought a DSLR.
I then went backpacking with my other daughter and here are a couple of my first attempts at landscape shots...
This first one is in the later afternoon - rancheria falls
HetchHetchy08091.jpg

This one was in the middle of the day, so the kinda blows it out a bit...
HetchHetchy08023.jpg

framed ok. circular polariser filter would be useful for skies.
higher iso, smaller aperture would be sharper for distant landscape features.

Thanks for the comments. I'm still learning about the whole aperture and depth of field stuff....

Alright, I'm a noob, but from what I can see the time of day didn't help you, seems like they were shot between 1-3 p.m. That kinda lighting washes out the skies pretty badly and to my knowledge there isn't much the photographer can do. Umm, Framing seems okay, except for Kilroy in the bottom left corner of the first photo, which of course could be cropped out. Lastly, watch your light meter, that might have helped on the last photo, it seems overexposed, but again, the time of day didn't help you either. Hope that helps...

Rzims, welcome to the forum.

The location itself is stunning. The composition is good, but the time of day is the wrong thing here. The golden hour just after dawn or before sunset and these would be excellent I am sure.

Also, I found Walley from the Where's Walley books! (bottom left corner #1)

Tip: Before you even think of pushing the shutter, take 2 seconds to look at the edges in your view finder to make sure there is no distracting objects or unwanted objects coming into frame. It would have made all the difference in number one, but I know sometimes people can just be eager.... he he. I've done it myself in the past.

Tip2: Also try using a tripod for the water and use a slower shutter and shoot in lower light, the effect will be quite dramatic.

In the last photo are you shooting into the sun? It looks like the sun is right in the upper right corner.... I think it would have been a beautiful photo if the sun were at your back...

ND density might help for the waterfall/creek shot.. Its also a bit over exposed... Sun isnt in the best position...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back