new to site with question

cuzzx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
cuzzx here.
With my wife we cruise about once a year, Carnival.

I have a cannon rebel XTI.

When taking inside the room or around the ship pictures most of the photos are dark or out of focus a bit.

I have tried different cameras and on this new rebel all the different settings.

Have any ideas?

cuzzx here.
With my wife we cruise about once a year, Carnival.

I have a cannon rebel XTI.

When taking inside the room or around the ship pictures most of the photos are dark or out of focus a bit.

I have tried different cameras and on this new rebel all the different settings.

Have any ideas?

I shoot Nikon and I don't know the off-brand models. However, you need the Canon equivalent to either this or this.

so you are saying that I need to get a add on flash or use 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens to inprovemy inside shots?

my try both, ideas.

will try to post a picture.

From what I have read and learned on here, a faster lens will prob do the job. It will let you bump your speed up a little and get the blur out. It will let more light in so it should fix your underexposer problem as well. I'm sure I will be corrected on this but I hope it helps.

Sure love to see some examples of what problems you're having. Sounds like very basic stuff to me. Don't buy anything just yet. Out of the box the XTi is very capable of pretty good shots in a wide range of situations. Give us some more details and/or examples and we can tell you what's wrong.

My first impression is that you have the exposure compensation set incorrectly or that you're using the wrong metering mode. A faster lens will absolutely not brighten your image. You can shoot in the dark at f/20 and still get an overexposed image. Obviously the exposure time would be long, but it's certainly possible.

posted a few pictures but because I'm new here they have to be approved.

here is a link if it works, pictures are listed as man, treat, & barcruise.

Pictures by icuzzx - Photobucket

can't get in without a password,etc.

what is your ISO on these images?

i would still need to sign up and would rather not do that.

Of the three, the only one that is very underexposed is "man", and to a lesser extent, "treat".
Capturing an image in an indoor room with a large light source like that window can be tricky because of the extremes in contrast. Your XTi's lack of a spot meter can make the task trickier. It appears that image is exposed more for the window and what's behind it than it is for the subject in front of it.
You probably could have used a slightly slower shutter speed for a more accurate exposure. You're shooting digital - you have nothing to lose by firing off two or three shots with different shutter speeds.
Also keep in mind that you do not have to frame your subject first. You can set your exposure on an area that's lit similarly to what you want to have exposed properly when you take the shot - in this case, the boys face. There's a couple ways to do this, one of which is locking your exposure (which I can't recall how to do offhand since I rearely use that feature on my XTi). But if you're comfortable with focusing manually, you can aim at a darker area of the scene, like between the two chairs on the left, press your shutter button half way to set you exposure, re-frame your subject and fine tune your focus, then press the shutter all the way to capture the shot. You would have been more likely to get the proper exposure on the first try that way, since you'd be exposing for the same lighting conditions as your subject.
With a few tweaks, you could have had the proper exposure there. Worst case scenario, the ship behind the window may have had to be a touch overexposed to properly expose the boy, but that wasn't your focal point in that image anyway. It's not the fault of the camera or the lens.
If you shooting a scene witth high contrast (very dark and very bright lighting in the same scene) try to expose on something "in the middle", meaning an area that's not too bright or dark.

"man" was difficult because it was so harshly backlit (the window). A flash would have seriously helped in this shot. If no flash, then you could have spot metered somewhere inside the room so your camera ignored the harsh light coming from the window. Nonetheless, with simple curves in any image processing application you can boost the shadows while not boosting the highlights and can come up with this:
man-1.jpg

"treat" was only a little dark, but mostly the color balance was off probably from incandescent lights. With a simple color correction and a slight brightness curve, you can get this:
treat-1.jpg

"barcruise" looked pretty good to me (except for the noise). Maybe just a hare underexposed, but pretty close. But this shot was taken with your Canon PowerShot SD630, not the Rebel.

I also didn't notice any blurring or out of focus shots that you referred to in your original post. Maybe only you can see them on the high resolution versions?

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, do not have a Canon PowerShot SD630.
Do not have any idea as to why that posted within the picture

I have the canon rebel and my wife has a???
checked and she does have a Canon PowerShot SD630.
Thought she had a Pentax,my bad.

Will look for a few more shoots that I need help with.

But thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back