New to wedding photography need advice

I'm sure your friends will not be expecting professional level photography.
But, if you are going to rent a lens, rent a body also.
On the canon side I would rent a 5D MKIII, the 24-70 f/2.8, the 70-200 f/2.8 and maybe a 35 or 50mm f1.4 or 1.8.
If you don't have a flash, buy one or rent it :p
Try to use more than one body so that you won't be changing lenses all the time.
Use your camera with the 50mm f/1.4 and the flash for some portraiture, use the 5D MKIII with the 24-70 most of the time (great all around lens), and switch to the 70-200 for some discretion ;) (try to capture moments without people knowing it).
Some people get shy when being photographed, you will get more natural and better looking photos if you catch them unprepared ;)
Like a ninja photographer :)
An assistant could come in handy, or else you will have to carry the equipment by yourself the entire event.
Very very important - 3 or 4 batteries fully charged, 3 or 4 (or more) SD cards, batteries for the flash and so on.
It's good to start among friends. You will have their confidence and that can show on the pictures.
Act normally and naturally. Be yourself, don't try to do some type of photography you saw on other wedding photographers.
Shoot a lot, use rapid fire :p
At the end of the day you will have thousands of photos - it would be good if you could use 150/200 of them ;)

Having said this, I only did a "job" once.
It was a family baptism and I did all the work with my D5300 + 17-50 f/2.8 + 35mm on the D3000 with a friends flash (used it for the portraits).
I tried to use my 55-200mm and at sunlight I could use it for some photos. After the sun went down I couldn't do anything more with it :p
I could use some photos with huge ISOs (like 6400), but on smaller formats.
It went better than expected, but I was among family and friends, I wasn't even payed - it was fun.
At some point I started using the D3000 because I was without battery on the D5300 :p
But it charges quickly :)

Try to have fun :p
Don't forget to eat and drink :)

Cheers

Most reactions

Back