New toy, renewed love for my X-T20

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Those of you who followed my decision to purchase an X-T20 and get into the fuji system may have noticed that my interest in it quickly faded. The X-T20 had been sitting on a shelf collecting dust and relegated to getting almost no use whatsoever. I honestly though that it was because I just wasn't a fan of the small camera body.

Well, I thought wrong.

Up until today, the 10-24 was my only fuji lens. I was scrolling the fuji x sale group on facebook and found a mint copy of the 50mm f/2 for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure what made me pull the trigger on it with my waning interest in my fuji investment, but I'm SO glad that I did.

I just got home about an hour ago and opened the package and was immediately impressed at how small and light the lens is. As soon as I mounted it on the camera I knew that I was going to love the combination. It turns out that my problem with the X-T20 wasn't the camera at all, but rather just the fact that the 10-24 made the camera so unbalanced and awkward to use.

I had found that the 10-24 was so large and heavy that if I was willing to carry it, I would just grab my D810 and 20mm 1.g instead. That being said, I'm 99% sure the 10-24 is going up for sale.

With the new 50 f/2 on the X-T20, the camera becomes light enough that I can forget it's hanging on my shoulder. I've only taken a few sample images with it around my house, but I'm already convinced that I'm going to love it. I love the way the background is rendered with it, and it's extremely sharp, even in these samples that are shot at iso 3200-6400.

Sample images: minor cropping and color correction applied, but no sharpening whatsoever. Shot in jpeg.

1.)
Sample-3 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

2.)
Sample-2 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

3.)
Sample-1 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

I'm going to be spending 3-4 of the next 5 days taking photos at a local antique tractor, steam and gas engine show. There will be a ton of interesting subjects there to test this lens on, and I'm extremely excited to get out in the real world with it and see how it performs.

Sorry for the long, semi-pointless post. Just super excited about this lens!

TL;DR: Got the 50 f/2, love it, renewed my interest in using my X-T20.

Last edited:
Those of you who followed my decision to purchase an X-T20 and get into the fuji system may have noticed that my interest in it quickly faded. The X-T20 had been sitting on a shelf collecting dust and relegated to getting almost no use whatsoever. I honestly though that it was because I just wasn't a fan of the small camera body.

Well, I thought wrong.

Up until today, the 10-24 was my only fuji lens. I was scrolling the fuji x sale group on facebook and found a mint copy of the 50mm f/2 for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure what made me pull the trigger on it with my waning interest in my fuji investment, but I'm SO glad that I did.

I just got home about an hour ago and opened the package and was immediately impressed at how small and light the lens is. As soon as I mounted it on the camera I knew that I was going to love the combination. It turns out that my problem with the X-T20 wasn't the camera at all, but rather just the fact that the 10-24 made the camera so unbalanced and awkward to use.

I had found that the 10-24 was so large and heavy that if I was willing to carry it, I would just grab my D810 and 20mm 1.g instead. That being said, I'm 99% sure the 10-24 is going up for sale.

With the new 50 f/2 on the X-T20, the camera becomes light enough that I can forget it's hanging on my shoulder. I've only taken a few sample images with it around my house, but I'm already convinced that I'm going to love it. I love the way the background is rendered with it, and it's extremely sharp, even in these samples that are shot at iso 3200-6400.

Sample images: minor cropping and color correction applied, but no sharpening whatsoever. Shot in jpeg.

1.)
Sample-3 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

2.)
Sample-2 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

3.)
Sample-1 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

I'm going to be spending 3-4 of the next 5 days taking photos at a local antique tractor, steam and gas engine show. There will be a ton of interesting subjects there to test this lens on, and I'm extremely excited to get out in the real world with it and see how it performs.

Sorry for the long, semi-pointless post. Just super excited about this lens!

TL;DR: Got the 50 f/2, love it, renewed my interest in using my X-T20.
Cool. I don't own that one. I have the 56. Huge difference in focal length over your 10-24, lol. Tractor show for Destin? Wow, I'm shocked, lol. You will love it bud, I'm going to one more in a couple weeks. That is a perfect focal length for them. I took my 56, 16, and 55-200 on the last one. I ended up using the 56 mostly. I only used the 55-200 out in the plow fields and even then I could have just got closer using the 56 but those fields get tough to walk through when they're turned over. You will have to clean your camera after the show, they get externally trashed at steam shows. I never change lenses outside at a tractor show. It would surely make the sensor dirty in a hot second. I go back to my truck or inside a closed building if one is there.

Tractor show for Destin? Wow, I'm shocked, lol.

Hey now! Lol

I’m a country boy. Started operating equipment and tractors around 5 years old, and I’ve been going to this gas&steam show almost every year since then as well.

I’m really looking forward to photographing some of the exhibits, or the guys working in the shops. The coolest one in my opinion is the blacksmith shop.. guys working metal the old school way with a hammer and an anvil.

Hey now! Lol

I’m a country boy. Started operating equipment and tractors around 5 years old, and I’ve been going to this gas&steam show almost every year since then as well.

I’m really looking forward to photographing some of the exhibits, or the guys working in the shops. The coolest one in my opinion is the blacksmith shop.. guys working metal the old school way with a hammer and an anvil.
lol. I'm a city boy but love the power of old iron. I too, enjoy the blacksmith and have taken a few shots of them. My love started as a boy, my grandfather was the last commercial farmer in Detroit. My favorite memories are us taking his tractors apart and painting them one winter.

Hey now! Lol

lol. I'm a city boy but love the power of old iron. I too, enjoy the blacksmith and have taken a few shots of them. My love started as a boy, my grandfather was the last commercial farmer in Detroit. My favorite memories are us taking his tractors apart and painting them one winter.

My dad and I are each in the process of restoring an old small tractor to show. I’m working on a wheel horse that’s the size of a kid’s power wheels car.. it’ll be super fun to cruise around the steam show on when it’s done.

Looks like the lens delivers in spades and sounds like a winning combo of balance.

I haven't tried the 50 yet and probably won't since I have the 18-55 and the 60mm... I do love my 35mm f/2 prime though - the fastest focusing lens I've ever used and so small and light! If you like the 50 f/2 you should check out the 35 and/or the 18. I love that Facebook group and have gotten a couple of nice deals there. It's great to cut out the middle man (Adorama/B&H/MPB etc.) and to avoid the drama and uncertainty of ebay!

im kinda in the same boat as Squaresy... between the 18-55, the 35 f2, and the 60mm, i just dont think i would have much use for a 50mm prime.
the 60mm isnt as quick to focus as the 35, and not quite as fast, but between the two of them i dont see myself picking up the 50mm anytime soon. i imagine its
a really nice lens though, and i would have seriously considered one if i hadn't picked up the 60mm half macro.

im kinda in the same boat as Squaresy... between the 18-55, the 35 f2, and the 60mm, i just dont think i would have much use for a 50mm prime.
the 60mm isnt as quick to focus as the 35, and not quite as fast, but between the two of them i dont see myself picking up the 50mm anytime soon. i imagine its
a really nice lens though, and i would have seriously considered one if i hadn't picked up the 60mm half macro.

The 60 is my favorite Fuji lens. But yeah, it's a bit pokey. If the 35 was Usain Bolt, the 60 would be Tom Brady (slow but perfect).

The 60 is my favorite Fuji lens. But yeah, it's a bit pokey. If the 35 was Usain Bolt, the 60 would be Tom Brady (slow but perfect).

We can’t be friends anymore. Price just doubled for patriots fans :p

My dad and I are each in the process of restoring an old small tractor to show. I’m working on a wheel horse that’s the size of a kid’s power wheels car.. it’ll be super fun to cruise around the steam show on when it’s done.
We've got a number of those kicking around our club in various states of dis-repair... really fun little machines. Which one do you have?

I'm helping a guy naturally restore a 1920 Farmall F-20. No new paint which bums me out as I can sling my Sata spray guns like no ones business. I have been helping him on and off for a over a year, cleaning and spraying Wurth Rust Guard and then de-glossing by hand. Painfully slow. He wants the patina as original as possible.

I was luke warm when I first got the X-T2. It was because of the 18-55 lens. Once I got the 35mm it all changed. I have all primes for my Canon and really don't know what possessed me to get the zoom for the Fuji.

I was luke warm when I first got the X-T2. It was because of the 18-55 lens. Once I got the 35mm it all changed. I have all primes for my Canon and really don't know what possessed me to get the zoom for the Fuji.

The 18-55 is convenient and super sharp but it’s booooooring. I battle with myself about selling it but it sure comes in handy for times when you can’t zoom with your feet. Just bought a used 14mm and if I like that and pair it with the 35, I may put the 18-55 away for a few months and see if I miss it. For what I shoot, I could probably live without it.

The 18-55 is convenient and super sharp but it’s booooooring. I battle with myself about selling it but it sure comes in handy for times when you can’t zoom with your feet. Just bought a used 14mm and if I like that and pair it with the 35, I may put the 18-55 away for a few months and see if I miss it. For what I shoot, I could probably live without it.

I didn't like the variable aperture on the zoom. My plan is to trade this lens for another used one in a few months. Waiting to see what used ones come into the camera store.

Most reactions

Back