New Tripod: update

DSRay

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So now that I have spent more time shlepping my tripod and gear around Orlando I have had an epiphany, it's not a new tripod that I need, it's a new camera bag WITH WHEELS that I need. I'm a very urban guy and watching all the women walking around downtown with wheeled bags pounded the message home. Sure beats buying a $300 dollar tripod for such a limited use!

thats a lot of gear you must need to carry around.
have you considered switching to a mirrorless setup? a few people here have done just that with great success.

I am an admitted dinosaur and I love my viewfinder. I find it exceedingly difficult to compose on a flat screen one step removed from reality.

It's not that I have too much equipment; I only carry two bodies, three lenses and the required batteries, SD cards and cleaning accessories. It was the heavy tripod that really bothered me and since I don't go where I can't wheel a bag, it seemed the best overall solution.

I am an admitted dinosaur and I love my viewfinder. I find it exceedingly difficult to compose on a flat screen one step removed from reality.

It's not that I have too much equipment; I only carry two bodies, three lenses and the required batteries, SD cards and cleaning accessories. It was the heavy tripod that really bothered me and since I don't go where I can't wheel a bag, it seemed the best overall solution.

you can get mirrorless cameras with viewfinders. :D

Can't the tripod strap onto the wheeled camera bag ?

For me at least: a big mirrorless won't save me any weight and a small one won't feel comfortable in my hand.

I might save some weight/size on smaller lenses; but I'm not sure that I'd actually save any money on them (despite lower theoretical costs, the real prices on the used market seem as high or higher).

I've considered a small mirrorless with a small zoom for a secondary (tertiary) camera to just "always have on me"; but the current crop don't seem to offer me personally advantages to off-set their disadvantages. That may change at some point in the future, and YMMV.

I had no idea that camera mirrors were so gosh darn heavy.

DSRay; YES! As long as you're not planning to hike into the wilderness, I think wheels are the way to go. I thought the same thing myself just yesterday when I glanced down at my wheeled luggage carrier. (Specialized carrier for those office boxes kind of thing.) I used it when I was carrying boxes, computers, notebooks, etc., all over the state.

For comparing mirrored vs mirrorless my D800 with lens weights ~5 lbs. My Sony NEX7 with lens weighs about 1 lb. I think I'd rather carry the sony around all day!

For me at least: a big mirrorless won't save me any weight and a small one won't feel comfortable in my hand.

I might save some weight/size on smaller lenses; but I'm not sure that I'd actually save any money on them (despite lower theoretical costs, the real prices on the used market seem as high or higher).

I've considered a small mirrorless with a small zoom for a secondary (tertiary) camera to just "always have on me"; but the current crop don't seem to offer me personally advantages to off-set their disadvantages. That may change at some point in the future, and YMMV.

Pretty much where I'm at too, just haven't seen one yet that would really fit the niche I'd need it to fill to justify the purchase.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

When comparing a blueberry to a pineapple, the blueberry usually wins.

When comparing 24MP APS-C cameras with similar capabilities and DXO scores, it becomes a closer call.

For comparing mirrored vs mirrorless my D800 with lens weights ~5 lbs. My Sony NEX7 with lens weighs about 1 lb. I think I'd rather carry the sony around all day!
The NEX is so small that it's awkward in in my hand. I shake a lot more with it, especially when trying to take shots. I don't like how many things I have to navigate the menus for on the NEX that are buttons on my Canon. I don't like that (some of) the lenses have only one ring which is either zoom or focus depending on settings and, if it is focus, zoom is a "zoom in/out" toggle.

The camera also doesn't provide a good counter-weight for many hot-shoe accessories; and if I want a viewfinder I need to purchase it separately and then the hot-shoe is now unavailable for a mic or flash.

So for a "serious photography" (to whatever extent a newbie like me can use that term) camera; I find the NEX 7 limiting and difficult to operate. It's not the pictures: it's the ergonomics.

Also: there's less lens variety and they are generally more expensive (at least at the low end) on the used market.

It's not a good primary camera for me in this generation. That may change at some point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back