New zoom lens

Apex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Im shopping for a new lens for my nikon d50. I started looking in camera stores which proved to be a bad idea as far as getting your moneys worth. My dad knew a guy that was into photography and i told him my price range (400-500 max) and he reccomended the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G If-ED AF-S VR Autofocus lens.
I was wondering if anyone had this lens or if anyone has any serious problems with getting said lens?
i noticed all of the reviews (on all other sites too) were very good.
I also figured that with the VR it would be a HUGE improvement for me because i have very unsteady hands.

Thanks

(Edit: my current lens is the 18-55mm kit lens)

From what I've heard of that (and the similar Canon lens)...they are pretty good, as long as you know what to expect from them.

VR is a great feature and it makes it easier to get sharp shots while holding the camera in your hands. However, it won't help you to get sharper shots of moving subjects. So if you are shooting scenery or even people doing normal things...it's OK. If you are trying to shoot sports or (anything in low light)...then you may run into problems with this lens. The issue is that the maximum aperture isn't very wide....especially at the long end of the zoom. This is also a problem with your kit lens. Well, it's not really a problem if you shoot when there is plenty of light...or when you use a tripod and remote (or self timer).

You might want to also consider a 'fast' lens. The standard suggestion (because it's so cheap) is the 50mm F1.8 lens. It would make a nice compliment to your kit lens and the 70-300mm.

If the 70-300 VR is a bit too much for your budget, you could also consider the non VR version...or even the Tamron 70-300, which is much cheaper.

If the 70-300 VR is a bit too much for your budget, you could also consider the non VR version...or even the Tamron 70-300, which is much cheaper.

The Tamron 70-300 is an EXCELLENT lens for the money. I have one, and use it often. I like it better than the Nikon 70-300G, sharper and has a metal mount.

The 70-300 VR is excellent as well, considering its limitations (slow aperture, especially on the long end). If you are not shooting a lot of sports in low light, then the 70-300 VR will serve you well. If you are planning on shooting a lot of action stuff, save up your pennies and get the excellent 70-200 2.8

Yes, i was planning on using it for scenery and general pictures, not sports.
I was also reccomended a 50mm lens. I liked that idea too (especially because it would expand my options with every picture i take) although i kinda wanted to start out with a zoom lens. Thats not saying i wont get a fixed lens later on. I have heard countless times that in terms of sharpness there isnt any better.

the VR shouldnt be too much for my budget especially as i was expecting to pay around 500 for a better than average lens

on sort of a side note, i am going to hawaii in november and thats part of the reason i decided to upgrade my lens.

Thanks alot for your help

Edit: Does the tamron 70-300 have any sort of vibration reduction like the Nikon?

hmm, okay.
Taking into consideration the fact that im new to photography (and dont have a steady hand) would you reccommend the Nikon with VR or say save the money and get 2 lenses, the Tamron and a fixed lens

If the latter, can you guys point me to the specific Tamron you guys are reccommending and couple it with another fixed lens that you have had good experiences with?

This is the type of decision that most people face when buying gear. Few of use can afford the very best so we must make compromises. I believe that it's best to get the best you can afford.

I'd go with the VR lens and then start saving for a faster lens after that.

okay, i think that is what i will do then. Thank alot, i really appreciate it.

ill be sure to let you guys know how it works out when i get it. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back