Newbie hoping for some feedback/help

becky323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I am definitely at the beginning stages of photography. I call myself an aspiring photographer. I have a couple of questions for you all. First, did anyone else experience frustration with understanding the technical side of photography? I love the artsy/creative/right-brained aspect of photography but I really struggle with understanding the technical world of f-stops, RAW, histograms, etc. etc. Can anyone relate? I also have been looking for a photographer/photographer assistant job for quite a while with no luck! I have been offered a couple mall photography and school photographer jobs but I just can't support myself on that income. I really don't want to give up my photography dream but I am wondering if it needs to happen more gradually, i.e. take classes here and there and just practice, practice, practice until a good opportunity comes along. Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated! Here are a couple of my shots:
my.php

my.php

Yea - she really butchered those links - here are the photos:

my.php

my.php

What you need to do:

Pick up Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Petersen.
Get rid of those godawful watermarks. . .they ruin some nice pictures.
Kick up the contrast on the first one, and toss the bubbles.

The last two are opinions, the first suggestion is an imperative.

I agree, the remove the bubbles in the first picture, and up the contrast.

If you moved slightly to the right in the second photo so a petal wasn't covering part of the stigma (center purple) the I would think it was great! I love how you can see the powder settled inside. The flower seems so safe! Nothing has moved it or touched it. Not a breeze or anything.

The lighting needs work on the second photo. Soft light would've made the photo look great.

I believe it would have helped with the shadow in the foreground. Someone please confirm.

Personal feelings.
If you don't have understanding of the technical aspects of photography, i would seriously consider learning or studying it before you even think about going for photography jobs.

Becky - frustration with the technical side is not uncommon. It is hard but necessary if you want to be really good at your craft. It is as simple as that.

To be a good, consistent photographer takes hundreds if not thousands of hours of agonizing problem solving.
As you already know, there are several interrelated elements that have to come together in the right sequence in order to get the "perfect shot".

You can't eat a full meal in one bite !

Basic photography is quite simple. It is all about light. How much, how fast, what color.

After that, its geometry. Distance and angles.

All this just takes practice, lots of it.

After 40+ years in the business, I still have a mental check-off list I run through. Not a whole lot different than driving a stick shift car.

Personal feelings.
If you don't have understanding of the technical aspects of photography, i would seriously consider learning or studying it before you even think about going for photography jobs.
Um do you hpnestly think that those teenagers that shoot at the mall portrait shops are highly trained photographers they are about 1 step if that higher than the wal or K or Targ people it is a place to start or learn.

Um do you hpnestly think that those teenagers that shoot at the mall portrait shops are highly trained photographers they are about 1 step if that higher than the wal or K or Targ people it is a place to start or learn.

I don't know, I live in England and we don't have mall or what ever the other things you mentioned portrait shops. (well none that I've ever seen)
Every portrait place I've been to has had photographers that know what they're doing in terms of technical details.
I'd advise studying technical aspects or at least assisting before being an actual photographer, but standards are obviously lower in the malls you talk of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back