newbie question : film or camera defect???

boldo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I usually take pics with a digital camera but since I had an old SLR laying around and some spare film I decided to give it a try...

...when I finished my roll and had my negatives developed, I had a bad surprise...as you can see in the images linked

http://powandstone.altervista.org/immagini/DSCN4768.jpg

http://powandstone.altervista.org/immagini/DSCN4767.jpg

the (whole) film is affected by vertical dark stripes (wich would turn light grey or white when printed). More noticeable in "black" pictures (eg pics accidentally shot with lens cap on) and in under-exposed ones.

What I want to know is if this more likely to be due to some defect in the film (the roll was laying around in the house, it wasn't in its box buth rather exposed to light) or to the camera (old sealing???)

thank you!

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

Judging from the examples and your description of the film being 'some spare film' I assume the film wasn't new. Now, film (both un and exposed) is affected by warmth, cold, time, humidity, etc etc. Witch means that film loses its quality over time. This could be the case here.

My best sugestion would be to get some new film and if the problem still ocours, Have your camera checked at the local photostore.

I hope this help, but I should wait for some more experienced people to respond to this, hehe :)

Good luck! And I hope you'll be snapping pictures again soon.

Niels

It looks like a processing fault, possibly exhausted bleach/fix. Try putting the film through the bleach/fix and wash stages again, it might just get rid of the lines.

That could be a few things, if it is old film it could have been heat damaged or exposed to heat and damaged the emulsion being rolled up for so long. Also I have seen those marks form when film is wound back in the canister backwards or againest the natural roll like it came out of the canister. But I look at the unexposed areas on the edges and so you see the marks across the whole film. Some how the film got damaged before you used it.

It looks like the film was possibly older and the lines appear to be stress marks. This is something I saw a ton of when I was working in labs. They are caused by winding the film backwards in the canister. Usually when rewinding the film. Try using fresh film and make double sure that you don't wind the film backwards.

thanks everybody...

yeah, actually I have been messy when rewinding the film (It was my first experience with this camera in a very long time and I didn't remember to press the "unlock" button so the film wouldn't rewind and I played a bit with the rewinder before remembering how to unlock the film...) and yes, those marks are noticeable on the entire film, expecially at the edges.

It was just a "test roll" anyway...at least I'm quite sure the camera works fine except for a little focusing problem (the film focus and the viewfinder focus are not the same...but as fare as I use the same lense I know how much is the difference and I can deal with it until repair...)

Someone suggested putting a new film in, shooting and seeing the results. That way you'll know exactly what's causing the defects.

I suggest you scan a few frames of the new film after processing it and posting them here (if there are still any stripes showing), so we all can see and think about what might cause them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back