Noughts after Number

Melanie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just been playing on my camera for the past week and cannot find anything in my manual for the camera (A Nikon F75) that can explain what the noughts mean after the shutter speed:

E.g

I took a picture of a branch of an acorn tree (wind blown) so it was moving ever so slightly. I left the AF Area as Auto, Exposure setting Close-Up Mode with the Focus mode on AF Dynamic mode (to allow for the movement) and the shutter speed was 5oo and the Aperture was F5.6

I noticed that some pictures have no "ooo" and some had one two or three of these - what do they mean? Is it something I am doing wrong?

I have yet to see the results of my photos - I shall get them printed this weekend - I'm just starting to dread what these may mean :(

Hi Melanie, don't worry about it. The 'oo's are '00's, which just means faster shutter speeds; for example 1/500th of a second. Your camera's shutter speeds might range from about 30 seconds to 1/4000th of a second (for example) so a shutter speed of 1/500 at f5.6 is nothing to worry about. The numbers without '00's are just slower shutter speeds, for example 1/125th, 1/60th, 1/4th etc. Slower speeds are not a problem, but if you're shooting with a long telephoto lens then you might want to either keep shutter speeds above say 1/250th, or use a tripod. If as you say the tree was moving in the wind, that's another reason to use a higher shutter speed - and 1/500 should be more than adequate. Hope this helps; let us know how the photos turn out! :)

Bah! I thought of replying to this thread first though, and that's all that counts! :grumpy: </playground>

:lol:

Thanks very much - I was pretty worried - I am only using a 35mm-100mm lens - didn't use a tripod though...hope that doesn't mean camera shake..

IF I have the courage I will post maybe...one or two on here Zaphod - just so you can all see what I've done wrong LOL Thanks again :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back