What's new

newbie, sticking my neck out

altair005

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Location
GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi-ya...

i have a canon rebel xti. i have never formally trained in photography. i do, however, have a fine art degree and several of my friends in college were photo majors. i used to tag along on their shoots and thus had exposure (ha! a pun) to photography. i enjoy photography, though i'm really just a silly lay person/amateur. i am very paranoid about looking like another schmuck who got their hands on a dslr....

regardless, i don't think i'm TOO shabby! :)

for three years i've been shooting with the kit lens. i just got a 55-250mm is for my birthday this past weekend. wowwee! what a difference. i strolled downtown this morning and gave it a shot (ha! another pun).... photos are posted below

so why am i here? i think it's time i start getting some real honest-to-god feedback. sooo please humor me with some constructive criticism.
 
Last edited:
Hello Altair and welcome to the forum.

If you really want feedback, then post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. ;)
 
Hello Altair and welcome to the forum.

If you really want feedback, then post your pictures here. instead of linking to them. ;)

yeah, okay.
 
alright, maybe this will work. here are my images from playing with the new lens this morning. i realize i typically underexpose. hmmm. i guess i really like saturated color, and i am afraid of losing focus with longer exposures.

p.s. if i broke any photo-posting rules please tell me.

IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4791.jpg


IMG_4789.jpg


IMG_4783.jpg


IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg


IMG_4787.jpg


IMG_4781.jpg
 
Last edited:
#1 has a lot of potential. I think it is worth revisiting so you can get the focus right.
 
I think #2 is the best of the bunch, I'd try to create some separation between the tug and the bg and bring out the tanker.
 
wow! thanks, white! (note to self: stop using iphoto).
 
I love the last one of the smoke pipes... but not so thrilled to see parts of cars at the bottom kinda brings me out of the picture, but hey I'm new and could be talking out my rear =o) but I do like it.
 
I love the last one of the smoke pipes... but not so thrilled to see parts of cars at the bottom kinda brings me out of the picture, but hey I'm new and could be talking out my rear =o) but I do like it.

yes, i agree about the cars. i even thought of that while shooting the photo. i definitely think the whole scene is worth revisiting, and with a plan. thanks for the feedback!
 
I like the last one too...... This photo would look fine cropped at the top of the autos............:thumbup:

they are all slightly underexposed, but that is easily corrected in post processing.. It is likely because of the sky reading overpowering the scene..
 
yeah, underexposure is my weakness! i hate OVERexposure, so i always put my metering to the left of 0. i also try to compensate for shooting sans tripod. i think you guys have convinced me i should revisit my favorite spots and reshoot, especially now that i have the new lens.... as time goes by i learn more and more and feel that i get better at handling the camera.
 
^ You could try bracketing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom