Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by ColinJ, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello everyone,I am more or less a newbie to this hobby,in the past I have used point & shoot cameras,I am 74 years old so I'm a young one,I like to be active in the fresh air,I live in the Midlands so have good scenery around me,at the moment I like to walk my two dogs.
    So first question is can anyone recommend a decent starter digital cameras

Colin

2. Angal Faria

Angal Faria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello and welcome to this forum, Colin. There is a lot of cameras you can choose one best for you. Have you any pic of your previous photography.

3. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome aboard.

4. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hello Colin and welcome.

So many good cameras now - probably best to try a few in the shop to see which feels right in your hands - like when picking any tool.

But a few considerations ....

1. Sensor size - if you may be shooting in low light, or you like that blurred background look - go for a larger sensor size - so bigger than normal 'point and shoot' camera

2. Equipment size and weight (also related to sensor size) - systems like 'micro four thirds' (Olympus, Panasonic) are smaller and lighter than 'full frame', and aps-c systems are in the middle.

3. Smart auto mode - as you develop you'll be shooting manual or 'semi-manual' (aperture or shutter priority), but in early stages a good, intelligent auto mode is a good option.

4 Mirror (dslr) or no mirror - lots of debate on this one - but in general dslr for fast sports, lower cost of lenses, mirrorless for more compact size, ease of use when moving from point and shoot, and they are the future direction of digital.

As for specific models - all of us will recommend our own camera, as that's what we chose for our needs - so for me, Fuji X series is the best! :)

5. ColinJ

ColinJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Angal. thank you for a warm welcome,I hope to be talking to all of you in the near future

Colin

6. adam.smith11

adam.smith11 TPF Noob!

hello colin J,

will you tell me what is your budget limit? then I will suggest you some digital or dslr camera.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello Colin and welcome.........

8. ColinJ

ColinJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes Adam around £300-£400

Colin

9. ColinJ

ColinJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Many thanks Jeff

Colin

10. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi welcome added to what the others say, have a think about used kit! From a photography shop at least at first, I can only speak about canon so for a light weight lug it around with the dogs all day I would look at the canon 600d lens wise my go to lens for out and about would be the canon 17 85mm

11. adam.smith11

adam.smith11 TPF Noob!

Canon EOS 60D DSLR

Canon 60D gives the photo enthusiast a powerful tool fostering creativity, with better image quality, more advanced features and automatic and in-camera technologies for ease-of-use. It features an improved APS-C sized 18.0-megapixel CMOS sensor for tremendous images, a new DIGIC 4 Image Processor for finer detail and excellent color reproduction, and improved ISO capabilities from 100-6400 (expandable to 12800) for uncompromised shooting even in the dimmest situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Just looked at MBP.com who I have no connection to so does no benefit me by telling you, a 600d body only ranges from 139 gbp to 179 gbp have a look . Please be very careful when buying used, if the camera is on display in the shop window without a lens or body cap on, then two things to rem
    1 all the dust and Luther air bourn things will have a chance and probably will get inside the camera. 2 chances whoever put that camera on display has limited knowledge. I have been using two well known camera shops in Sussex for years and have never seen them display cameras,lens in That way. Yes you could go via other on line places, but then it’s down to YOUR knowledge and skill I have been doing this for a while now and have been cought out and bought a duff.
    Like others here if we can help we will, rem canon is not the only brand others here speak Nikon, Pentax to name but two