Newborn photography... pee and poop damage?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought that would be an interesting post title... :)

I'm setting up my kitchen right now to photograph one of my newborn babies. I was planning on putting a big fluffy white down comforter on the table to give it a puffy, soft feel, but now I'm wondering about the risks of him peeing or pooping on it. (First baby... not sure how those things work exactly). I also had some other nice, textured blankets I wanted to use underneath, but now I'm a bit worried.

How do newborn photographers do it?

yeah, he WILL poop or pee :lol:. do you have chucks pads from the hospital? I'm no photographer but thats what I would use under him.

yep, expect to get pee'd and pooped on. If you don't want to throw it away or if it can not be washed and sterilized, do NOT use it.

I use puppy pads between my blankets and then if and when they pee/poop I just remove the top layer and the pad between and move onto the next.

I would not use a table though, I would use a boppy pillow and your bed or a sofa cusion

It's like Forrest Gump said...'Sh*t Happens'.

By now, you should know the feeding schedule and how it works. Within about 20 minutes of feeding, the baby will go to the bathroom and then sleep for about an hour and a half. That's your window. Feed him, change him, swaddle him and let him sleep, and then photograph him.

My advice would not be a kitchen, though. I would pick a smaller room, put a space heater in there, and get the room up to about 82 degrees.

I was hoping to make the kitchen work because it has those two big glass sliding doors that let a good amount of light in. The other rooms don't get as much light. Also, the walls in the kitchen are a very, very light gray (or slightly off white) which I thought would look nice??? His bedroom is a baby blue, and that could look nice as well I guess.

Would it work to just put a towel that could be thrown away right underneath his "manly" parts, but then put him on the down comforter? (I.e., hide the towel from view in the photo, but still have it covering the comforter). Or will that pee go everywhere? This is actually the first day he'll have been home (they kept him in the hospital since Monday), so to be honest I don't yet know his schedule or how messy that pee and poop gets.

Congrats. My second son was born Monday, so I know what you mean. I'm actually planning on waiting a week or so before I do his photos.

In any case, you can take the photos wherever you want. If it doesn't work, you can just try again later. My advice is to get whatever room he is going to be in up to at least 80 degrees if you are going to be removing his clothes.

Comes with the territory! :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

I got a newborn posing question, at what age is best to try to do those classic posed shots that are usually 2 pictures blended together, the one where the baby is propping their head up with their hands? And does their weight matter? Some are born small at less than 5 pounds and others are born huge at above 10 pounds. Does one or the other make it harder to do those poses?

I need practice with these types of pictures but I want to make sure im practicing on the right size/ages. :)

Most reactions

Back