Newborn photography

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some advice on how to shoot newborns that aren't in a comatose stage. I tried doing pictures of a newborn the other day and all he wanted to do was cry! :( I feel like the shoot was a failure!!!!

Be friendly, maybe make some goofy faces, be relaxed, and try and have the parents comfort them in the mean time. This is off the top of my head, but it should work. GL
TJ

Newborns sleep like 75% of every day (I don't have children so this is just a guess... help me out parents) so you just need a little patience. How long were you there? I'm sure if you waited it out the baby would have eventually fallen asleep.

If you're short on time, try to use the crying time as close up time. Shoot the baby's hands and feet (these are great for collages too). If the baby is still crying take some shots from the back... perhaps with one or both parents holding the baby in a way that you can see their expressions but only the back of the baby. Anything is better than nothing, and if the baby is still crying at this point take whatever shots you can, you might get a semi-relaxed expression if you time it right.

There's always the reshoot option if all else fails =). Good luck!

Make the room as warm as you can... No draft, no AC, and have them eat just before you shoot. If they are gong to be nude or close during the shoot have them nude while getting fed. Warmth + Food = Sleepy baby. You may end up having to wash your props (food also = pee and poo) but you will get the shot you are looking for.

If you are looking for a bright eyed baby wake them an hour before they are due to be fed. They will be in a good mood and respond to a slight touch down the cheek or feet. You can get the "grin" or bright eyes that way.

The trick is to just make them happy... Not so hard, right?

I need some advice on how to shoot newborns that aren't in a comatose stage. I tried doing pictures of a newborn the other day and all he wanted to do was cry! :( I feel like the shoot was a failure!!!!

I saw a beautiful DVD by PhotoVision where a baby photographer pro says the best time to photograph newborns is at about 9 weeks. By this time their sleep and eat patterns are set and you can arrange with mom on best nap times to photograph the child. Other tools....baby heating pillows to keep them warm and you can pose them in their sleep! You have to be super gentle and learn soothing techniques like placing your hand on their heads etc.

Here is a great site I found today and they are giving a great Posing Guide away in a contest. Good luck! www.inspiremebaby.com

Most reactions

Back