Newcomers introduction and some photos for c&c

Snow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

as you can see I am new here. I've got my first camera in 2009 summer, so thats about nine months. Because of the school studies, and other activities, I didn't have much time to practice, but I've read some books, did indoor shooting, and I feel improved from the spot when I grabbed my camera with tears :D My camera is Canon EOS 450D I think it is OK for a beginner, it has 2 lenses EFS 55-250mm and EFS 18-50, oh and a flash Speedlite 580EX II. It's really hard to pick waht to post here... so, here is some:

1. One of my first flower photo:

_MG_0179_1aa.jpg

2. A nice little couple. Non-edited with any software.

_MG_0192.jpg

3. My sexy cat :D the nose is a bit out of focus because there was not much light in the room.

_MG_0020aa.jpg

If you have time, please visit my flickr, it has more photos :] Thank you in advance. Flickr: Pistacioo's Photostream

I like your shots... clear/focused...besides how did you get my granddaughter's
4426380125_cc03ddf411.jpg
cat?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The only thing I can think of is that in the pic with the snails, I would have liked to see both of them in focus.. instead of just the first one...

Thank you. Your granddaughters cat is fluffeh :D and yes, the first one could be in focus, as i recall it there was P setting on my camera, it was the first month with my new toy :] Have you sacrificed a little of your time and saw my other photos on flickr? I really would appreciate some suggestions :]

Welcome to the forum! Your well on your way!! I agree about the focus, good stuff though.

I'll check your flikr

Thanks :] now I'm reading a book called "Photographers eye" my Michael Freeman, theres some interesting stuff. Maybe you can suggest something to read? Like umm, about composition.

Thanks :] now I'm reading a book called "Photographers eye" my Michael Freeman, theres some interesting stuff. Maybe you can suggest something to read? Like umm, about composition.

I lOVE, LOVE, LOVE that book! For me, that is on of the best I have read so far. I just wrote about something I picked up from that book:
Myfotoguy: The Decisive Moment (When to Click)

Bryan Peterson has a book titled "Learning to See Creatively", It's kind of more "basic" than Freeman's book, but still a great read.

How did you get this photo so sexy and sharp? My guess is the light of the cars made it look better (Like the metal safety thingies, forgot how are they called :/), am i right? My night photos misses something:

http://myfotoguy.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p974673842-4.jpg (Your photo, that I was talking about)

Some of my tries:

_MG_0019aa.jpg

_MG_0028aa.jpg

_MG_0010aa.jpg

_MG_0012aa.jpg

It is just missing something...

How did you get this photo so sexy and sharp? My guess is the light of the cars made it look better (Like the metal safety thingies, forgot how are they called :/), am i right? My night photos misses something:

http://myfotoguy.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p974673842-4.jpg (Your photo, that I was talking about)

A few things that come to mind:
-Tripod
-Low ISO
-Remote release
-Mirror lock-up (not all cameras have this)
-I have read about something called "diffraction" I honestly don't know too much about it, other than after a certain f/stop on some camera lens combos you actually start to lose sharpness. I usually don't worry about it too much, but I didn't need anything more than f/11 so that's what I used for the shots.

Had all of the things, except the mirror lock-up, does it make a lot of difference?

Ooooh i think I've discovered the biggest mistake that I have been doing. Just googled the diffraction thing, and found out that largest aperture isn't good. I've almost always used the largest aperture hoping of better quality.

I also forgot to mention that the focus point rule of thumb is 1/3 of the way into the scene. That's only a guide though. Online Depth of Field Calculator

Mirror lock up does help. Also, if your tripod is not good and sturdy you might be surprised the shaeke you will get.

In what situations i should use the mirror lock-up and in what i shouldn't?

Mirror lockup - use it only if you're on a tripod, generally has the most effect on telephoto lenses and at somewhere around ~1/10 - 1/2 second shutter speed is where the mirror flipping up causes the most vibrations (or so I've read). I guess it pays to use it if you want the absolute sharpest possible, but in reality there are much more important things you should worry about before mirror lockup.

Thank you all for your help :]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back