Next lighting purchase??

Yeah but using flash guns will cost more in the end. Good flash guns like the sb900 cost 800$ a piece. I bought a opus 250w/s kit with 2 monolights, stands, umbrella, soft box, wireless trigger, snoot, honeycomb grid and gels for 870$ after shipping. Don't get me wrong I love the portability of my speedlight but it sucks as a studio light.

I am just saying that the flash will be much more versatile.... it can be used at a restaurant to photograph friends (see #1 below), to shoot a wedding (see #2 below), it CAN be used in the studio (admittedly not as nicely as Studio lights) but more than adequately. especially for a beginner to learn with, and it can also be used back in the wilderness where you just hiked with 40 pound pack..... (See #3 below)

Studio lights can be used in all of those places too, if:

#1 - You can use studio lights if you want to be really conspicuous and look like a PRO (if the restaurant will even let you in with it, without prior permission!)

#2 - You can use studio lights if you can arrange to have the lights setup to cover the Brides dressing room, then move to the Grooms dressing room, then any where else they are needed , and then move them to the chapel for the ceremony, etc, and then to the... etc..etc..

#3 - You can use studio lights if you have a pack mule to carry the lights and power supplies.

You know, not every light that's not a speedlight is a hulking beast that requires a 20lb pack, a 20lb battery, and a 5lb head.

ELINCHROM - Ranger Quadra RX

I'm sure a pack mule that had to carry that ^^ lighting system would me more than enthusiastic to do so.

Ranger is nice gear! but a bit much for a the average beginner, don't you think? Plus you would look damn nerdy wearing that into a restaurant! ;)

It all comes down to what the person likes I guess. I mostly shoot in my new studio now so I bought a monolight kit. I still use my speedlight but only during house parties. I usually party with everyone else so I hardly take shots at parties.

Most reactions

Back