Next lighting purchase??

stepollard1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

Im been photographing now for a year or so. And my kit is very basic to say the least.

D3000,18-55mm,55-200mm + tripod.

I am what is best to purchase on a budget next, an on camera flash or some basic studio lighting?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Since everyone has a budget, some definition might help. Can you afford $10,000? Maybe just $100?

Big difference! If you have never used flash before, I would go that route. Learn to use that before going the studio route. Learn the basics, before buying the fancy gear. You can also do some studio lighting with a flash or two (stands and diffusers) for a lot less money than a decent studio setup will cost you. Flashes are also very portable and don't need to have external power supplies if shooting at an area with no electricity.

Big difference! If you have never used flash before, I would go that route. Learn to use that before going the studio route. Learn the basics, before buying the fancy gear. You can also do some studio lighting with a flash or two (stands and diffusers) for a lot less money than a decent studio setup will cost you. Flashes are also very portable and don't need to have external power supplies if shooting at an area with no electricity.

But they also lack power and the ability to properly use as many modifiers. Not to mention, a noob with a modeling light problably works better than one without. And for the cost of a $100 speedlight, you can probably get an Adorama 150w/s monolight.

guess it depends on what he will be using it for most. if he wants something he can take out with him i think the flash would be his best option. and then you can upgrade to going offcamera to give yourself allot more options. then if you want to concentrate on studio type work you can work yoru way into the studio setup. kinda the route ive been going.

personally I think learning flash in the "wild" is more beneficial than learning it under the controlled conditions of a studio. Everything you learn outside the studio can be applied in the studio.... but that doesn't work as well the other way... IMO

personally I think learning flash in the "wild" is more beneficial than learning it under the controlled conditions of a studio. Everything you learn outside the studio can be applied in the studio.... but that doesn't work as well the other way... IMO

+1, and its a ton of fun!

Yeah but using flash guns will cost more in the end. Good flash guns like the sb900 cost 800$ a piece. I bought a opus 250w/s kit with 2 monolights, stands, umbrella, soft box, wireless trigger, snoot, honeycomb grid and gels for 870$ after shipping. Don't get me wrong I love the portability of my speedlight but it sucks as a studio light.

Yeah but using flash guns will cost more in the end. Good flash guns like the sb900 cost 800$ a piece. I bought a opus 250w/s kit with 2 monolights, stands, umbrella, soft box, wireless trigger, snoot, honeycomb grid and gels for 870$ after shipping. Don't get me wrong I love the portability of my speedlight but it sucks as a studio light.

One TTL enable flash is all that a photographer needs unless they're dead set or need multiple TTL flashes. You can get manual hotshoe flashes for $150+/- that will work just as well as an SB900 for manual off camera flash usage. You can even find used lights cheaper. I could say monolights will end up costing more in the end with two Elinchrom Style 600RX lights costing about $1,900. There's even more expensive monolights, but why buy them if you don't need the features.

I am just saying that the flash will be much more versatile.... it can be used at a restaurant to photograph friends (see #1 below), to shoot a wedding (see #2 below), it CAN be used in the studio (admittedly not as nicely as Studio lights) but more than adequately. especially for a beginner to learn with, and it can also be used back in the wilderness where you just hiked with 40 pound pack..... (See #3 below)

Studio lights can be used in all of those places too, if:

#1 - You can use studio lights if you want to be really conspicuous and look like a PRO (if the restaurant will even let you in with it, without prior permission!)

#2 - You can use studio lights if you can arrange to have the lights setup to cover the Brides dressing room, then move to the Grooms dressing room, then any where else they are needed , and then move them to the chapel for the ceremony, etc, and then to the... etc..etc..

#3 - You can use studio lights if you have a pack mule to carry the lights and power supplies.

I am just saying that the flash will be much more versatile.... it can be used at a restaurant to photograph friends (see #1 below), to shoot a wedding (see #2 below), it CAN be used in the studio (admittedly not as nicely as Studio lights) but more than adequately. especially for a beginner to learn with, and it can also be used back in the wilderness where you just hiked with 40 pound pack..... (See #3 below)

#1 - You can use studio lights if you want to be really conspicuous and look like a PRO (if the restaurant will even let you in with it, without prior permission!)

#2 - You can use studio lights if you can arrange to have the lights setup to cover the Brides dressing room, then move to the Grooms dressing room, then any where else they are needed , and then move them to the chapel for the ceremony, etc, and then to the... etc..etc..

#3 - You can use studio lights if you have a pack mule to carry the lights and power supplies.

You know, not every light that's not a speedlight is a hulking beast that requires a 20lb pack, a 20lb battery, and a 5lb head.

ELINCHROM - Ranger Quadra RX

I'm sure a pack mule that had to carry that ^^ lighting system would me more than enthusiastic to do so.

You know, not every light that's not a speedlight is a hulking beast that requires a 20lb pack, a 20lb battery, and a 5lb head.

ELINCHROM - Ranger Quadra RX

I'm sure a pack mule that had to carry that ^^ lighting system would me more than enthusiastic to do so.

$$$1,400? EL 10292.1 Elinchrom RX Ranger Quadra - " TO GO " Standard Set - S Heads EL 10292.1 EL10292.1

Most reactions

New Topics

Back