Nicolo

Outstanding work Dan; #2 is without a doubt the best male fashion shot we've seen here in a LONG time. I love your use of light in #5, but for me the clothes aren't working; he needs to be wearing something more "normal" jeans and a t-shirt, or perhaps even shirtless, but as-is he looks like a ballet dancer

Edit: D'ohhh... I meant the clothes in #5!
Thank you.

"Normal" clothing just isn't my taste, especially for that shot. Honestly I believe jeans and a t-shirt would destroy the mood of that shot, and saying he looks like a ballet dancer as if it's a bad thing is a little bit confusing/ disappointing to me.

Agree that #2 is great but #4 has that combination of great face and other-wordly elements that make it my favorite of this set.
I think #5 has the chance to be really a stunner but the presence of that off center grillle behind his legs puts too much of a real-life stamp on the image.
Without the grill and with very subdued colors I think this would be an all time winner.
I personally enjoy the realness that the grill adds to the shot, but can appreciate the difference it would make to not have it and agree with you that it would have made a better shot. Regardless, it would have been impossible to capture him in that light without including the vent.

Last edited:
Dan,

Have you found any differences in quality of the photos taken with 5dI and 6d, using the same lens? How do you decide to choose one over the other?

Thanks,
I've noticed two differences. The first is the difference in image size. The 5D images are only 12 megapixels. The other difference is that images are slightly sharper straight out of camera, but to me this makes no difference because I sharpen all of my photos in post anyways, and in my opinion every photograph shot in RAW needs to be sharpened in post.

Otherwise, the only elements to an image that I think would create a noticeable difference in quality are light, focus, exposure, subject, colors and composition.

Outstanding work Dan; #2 is without a doubt the best male fashion shot we've seen here in a LONG time. I love your use of light in #5, but for me the clothes aren't working; he needs to be wearing something more "normal" jeans and a t-shirt, or perhaps even shirtless, but as-is he looks like a ballet dancer

Thank you.

"Normal" clothing just isn't my taste, especially for that shot. Honestly I believe jeans and a t-shirt would destroy the mood of that shot, and saying he looks like a ballet dancer as if it's a bad thing is a little bit confusing/ disappointing to me.

tirediron gave you one of the best compliments ive seen him give in a long time, and gave you his honest opinion on your photos. your take on every little critique that isn't "i love that shot" like its some sort of personal insult is a little bit confusing/disappointing to me.

1-3 are excellent. Im really not a fan of B&W, but I will make an exception for these just because they are that great.
I don't like the "branch shadows" in 4. I personally think minus those, that shot would have been just amazingly orgasmic.
The leotard look, to me, just doesn't lend anything relevant or otherwise interesting to the scene. it just looks out of place. im just not seeing what "mood" a leotard sets amidst a concrete wall and ledge.

Thank you.

tirediron gave you one of the best compliments ive seen him give in a long time, and gave you his honest opinion on your photos. your take on every little critique that isn't "i love that shot" like its some sort of personal insult is a little bit confusing/disappointing to me.

1-3 are excellent. Im really not a fan of B&W, but I will make an exception for these just because they are that great.
I don't like the "branch shadows" in 4. I personally think minus those, that shot would have been just amazingly orgasmic.
The leotard look, to me, just doesn't lend anything relevant or otherwise interesting to the scene. it just looks out of place. im just not seeing what "mood" a leotard sets amidst a concrete wall and ledge.
And I thanked him for the compliment.

I have every right to explain my thoughts on something in my own photographs just as any of you do. To me it lends to the look. Even when tirediron mentions the ballet dancer look, I think of a dancer getting ready to do a stunt. But when I'm told that the ballet look somehow is an element that degrades the look of the image and that it should be replaced with something "normal", then yes I will be disappointed. To me that is the sort of feedback that discourages thinking outside of the box. Honestly I don't care if you disagree or don't like my opinion, and I am ending this conversation with you now.

Last edited:
Beautiful set! #4 for me as well, and of course it's because I'm a big fan of how you work with shadows. Lovely!

Thank you.

I have every right to explain my thoughts on something in my own photographs just as any of you do. To me it lends to the look. Even when tirediron mentions the ballet dancer look, I think of a dancer getting ready to do a stunt. But when I'm told that the ballet look somehow is an element that degrades the look of the image and that it should be replaced with something "normal", then yes I will be disappointed. To me that is the sort of feedback that discourages thinking outside of the box. Honestly I don't care if you disagree or don't like my opinion, and I am ending this conversation with you now.
Okay... let me clarify: What I meant was, that to MY way of thinking, the ballet-esque clothing didn't fit the image. To me the clothing he is wearing clashes with the environment. I'm not suggesting that t-shirt & jeans is the only other option, but MY feeling is that it would be a stronger image if the clothing complimented the setting. That said, obviously Dan and I are going to look at any image in totally separate ways, and if it works for him, then that is really all that counts. I freely admit that it's very unlikely that I will ever produce images that have the strength of this set, so take my opinion for what it's worth (but go easy on the exchange rate, okay? ;) )

Thank you.

Okay... let me clarify: What I meant was, that to MY way of thinking, the ballet-esque clothing didn't fit the image. To me the clothing he is wearing clashes with the environment. I'm not suggesting that t-shirt & jeans is the only other option, but MY feeling is that it would be a stronger image if the clothing complimented the setting. That said, obviously Dan and I are going to look at any image in totally separate ways, and if it works for him, then that is really all that counts. I freely admit that it's very unlikely that I will ever produce images that have the strength of this set, so take my opinion for what it's worth (but go easy on the exchange rate, okay? ;) )
Thank you, and I appreciate the friendly response. The unitard is one of my favorite looks on Nicolo, and to me in that scene is very reminiscent of a dancer preparing to do a Houdini-esque stunt or performance. It creates a mood that tells a story to me. Street clothing or normal clothing would take that away from the image and in my opinion reduce the element of interest. It would become an average shot to me, and average is not my style.

This opinion isn't directed at you Tirediron; I've never understood the negative reaction to an artist explaining themselves or giving their opinion in response to a critique. I am just as entitled to my opinions and feelings of my own artwork just as others are on mine or their own. I'm sick of the negativity associated with defending oneself over a critique that you disagree with or with explaining an element to the photo that you feel someone may be missing.

And for the record, I don't disagree with every negative critique given to me; even in this thread on the SAME IMAGE I agreed with someone's feedback that what they suggested would have created a better image. Just because I simply disagree with someone's opinion on my work doesn't automatically mean that I reject everything negative said about my work; it means that I am expressing my right to have a valid opinion and I am not going to let anyone stop me from having one.

Last edited:
Beautiful set! #4 for me as well, and of course it's because I'm a big fan of how you work with shadows. Lovely!
Thank you. It's a lot of fun to experiment with shadows like this and figuring out what works and what doesn't. This to me was one of those moments where I took the shot and viewed it and was immediately stunned by the mood it created. The mood created by shadows is my favorite part; it's an element really unique to using shadows that obscure certain parts of a portrait.

I'm actually photographing him nude tomorrow.
will you post here?
in other words, please post here
smiley-face-is-hungry.png

Last edited:
Lol, I would but I don't think that's allowed. Perhaps if links are allowed. I plan on taking some very tasteful shots, and I want at least a few to be facebook safe.
Hey... I don't mind links...

just do it!
waiting-emoticon-smiley.png

Lol, I would but I don't think that's allowed. Perhaps if links are allowed. I plan on taking some very tasteful shots, and I want at least a few to be facebook safe.
Hey... I don't mind links...

just do it!
waiting-emoticon-smiley.png
The shoot was amazing. I don't know if I'll begin editing them for a few days though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back