Night photography Question?

jacsul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I'm trying to figure which mode is better shoot in for night shots. I realize there is a lot of trial & error to find the "Sweet Spot" for and given situation, but I'm new to digital photography, so I'd happy if I can get inside the ball park.

I'm shooting w/ kodak Z1012IS, Which mode should give me optimum results, M, A, or P? High ISO leaves images grainy "noise" that much I've figured out.

This camera doesn't have a raw format, is this necessary for night shooting and something I should take into consideration?

Thanks,

Jack

a tripod is necessary for night shots than if your object is static than you can have longer aperture speedsthan you can shoot in M, A or P. I do my night shots in Manual

I'm trying to figure which mode is better shoot in for night shots. I realize there is a lot of trial & error to find the "Sweet Spot" for and given situation, but I'm new to digital photography, so I'd happy if I can get inside the ball park.
What kind of night photography? Long exposure night shots or night shots using flash?
I'm shooting w/ kodak Z1012IS, Which mode should give me optimum results, M, A, or P?
Depends...if you're trying long exposure shots then use Manual. Does your Manual mode allow you to change the aperture and shutter speed? I learned that some P&S cameras that have manual mode isn't really a true manual mode, just gives you more exposure compensation settings.
High ISO leaves images grainy "noise" that much I've figured out.
If you're doing long exposure shots, use the lowest ISO setting your camera allows.
This camera doesn't have a raw format, is this necessary for night shooting and something I should take into consideration?
RAW vs JPEG.

For night shots, you should use the manual setting and try ISO 200 in Fine JPEG as a starting point. The real trick to realistic night shots is to pick your subject carefully to avoid flare. In other words, avoid having bright lights shining into the lens. If you pick scenes where street lights and neon signs are "behind" you, they will be your main light.

You can supplement that light by using a hand held flash and "paint" the darker scenes with a series of flashes. You'll have to experiment a little to get a natural looking fill - be careful not to overpower your main light.

Deep shadows are what make night photography interesting as long as you understand that they are design elements like texture or rhythm or patterns or any other design element. If you understand what you're trying to accomplish with the photo initially, then you are in control of the results.

Good luck!

Michael P. Harker

Most reactions

New Topics

Back