What's new

nikkor 70-200 2.8

chloewindle1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
wiltshire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If anyone if feeling super nice to give me a free nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 I'd love you forever..

On the serious note, I have £600 to spend on a second hand one (I know it's not a great budget and asking for the impossible)...
 
That's only 800 or so american, which is cheaper than what I got my older 80-200 2.8D for...

Goodluck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It looks like the OP has a D5100 - so no AF motor/screw-drive system in the camera.
So she can't use the less expensive Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses that use Nikon's in the camera screw-drive system, unless she's willing to do manual focus. And the D5100 has a manual focusing aid - Rangerfinder mode.

I recently bought a very well cared for, used, push/pull to zoom AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses for $300 USD (£181).
The newer 2-ring version of a used AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D sell for about £480 - £500.
Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Zoom Nikkor Lens
 
Last edited:
I have one for sale if your budget get a little bit bigger... $1,850 + shipping... :)
 
It looks like the OP has a D5100 - so no AF motor/screw-drive system in the camera.So she can use the less expensive Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses that use Nikon's in the camera screw-drive system.

I recently bought a very well cared for, used, push/pull to zoom AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses for $300 USD (£181).
The newer 2-ring version of a used AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D sell for about £480 - £500.
Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Zoom Nikkor Lens

Keith .. typo ??
She "could" use the lens with her 5100 but will not have AF capabilities.
her 5100 does not have the screw drive motor (which you stated), which is what the 80-200/2.8 needs to AutoFocus

otherwise she needs the more expensive AF-S models with a built in focus motor.
 
It looks like the OP has a D5100 - so no AF motor/screw-drive system in the camera.So she can use the less expensive Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses that use Nikon's in the camera screw-drive system.

I recently bought a very well cared for, used, push/pull to zoom AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lenses for $300 USD (£181).
The newer 2-ring version of a used AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D sell for about £480 - £500.
Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Zoom Nikkor Lens

Keith .. typo ??
No doubt, not a well written post. I have edited it and added more information.
 
There is the AF-s 80-200 on BH used for about 1,000. Go over to their website and check it out. I would link to it but I'm on my ipad at the moment. Lol.
 
Personally I'll recommend the AF-S 70-300mm VR. Better to save for a better cam before getting better lens. Reason being the FX lenses will not fully perform on a DX camera(a D5100 here I assume). For £600 I'll consider the camera upgrade first. :)
 
Personally I'll recommend the AF-S 70-300mm VR. Better to save for a better cam before getting better lens. Reason being the FX lenses will not fully perform on a DX camera(a D5100 here I assume). For £600 I'll consider the camera upgrade first. :)

Dear everyone reading this thread:

Please ignore the false information Vince.1551 just spread.

Thanks,
Brain.
 
You might want to look at either a used Sigma or Tamron 70-200 mm F/2.8. I paid roughly $700 USD for my Sigma used, (I bought the OS Version), you can generally find the non-os or non-vc versions a little cheaper than that. I've been very happy with the results I get from my Sigma, and I think you'll find it will be more than enough for your D5100. I use a D5200 and the image quality has always been more than sufficient even with the 24 mp sensor.
 
Personally I'll recommend the AF-S 70-300mm VR. Better to save for a better cam before getting better lens. Reason being the FX lenses will not fully perform on a DX camera(a D5100 here I assume). For £600 I'll consider the camera upgrade first. :)
She's trying to upgrade to f/2.8 glass.
The 70-300 f/4.5 - 5.6 glass isnt going to help
 
Dear everyone reading this thread:

Please ignore the false information Vince.1551 just spread.

Thanks,
Brain.
I'll provide the correct info to those that don't already know it, since you were to focused on slamming Vince.1551 to do so yourself.

Vince.1551 has it exactly backwards.
What happens when Nikon DX lenses are used on Nikon FX camera bodies is what users need to be aware of.

DX lenses are designed to project an image circle that works with the reduced size of the DX (APS-C) image sensor.
FX is a full size image sensor and while DX lenses can be mounted and used on an FX camera body, a DX lens only illuminates the center DX size portion of the full size FX image sensor.
FX cameras can detect that a DX lens is mounted and they then, as a default setting, FX cameras only use the central part of their bigger image sensor that is the same size as a DX image sensor.

It costs about 4 times more to make the bigger FX image sensor than to make the smaller DX image sensor.
It costs less to make a DX lens than it does to make the same lens an FX lens.
Because the DX lens projects a smaller image circle the glass lens elements can be smaller in a DX lens. The lens body can be smaller too.

Upgrading a lens is usually a quicker way to image quality improvement than upgrading your camera. However, good lenses often cost more than entry-level DSLRs do.
Also, lenses do not need to get upgraded as often as camera bodies, from both a performance and a marketing perspective.
In other words camera body upgrades are more about features and functions than they are about upgrading image quality.
 
I'll provide the correct info to those that don't already know it, since you were to focused on slamming Vince.1551 to do so yourself.


Thanks, bro.
 
You might want to look at either a used Sigma or Tamron 70-200 mm F/2.8. I paid roughly $700 USD for my Sigma used, (I bought the OS Version), you can generally find the non-os or non-vc versions a little cheaper than that. I've been very happy with the results I get from my Sigma, and I think you'll find it will be more than enough for your D5100. I use a D5200 and the image quality has always been more than sufficient even with the 24 mp sensor.

I fully agree, you should also look at the high end options offered by Tamron and by Sigma.

Here's a recent discussion and review in the forum, about the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 VC Di USD lens for Nikon:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...mron-70-200mm-f-2-8-sp-di-vc-usd-opinion.html

And here sample shots I made with this Tamron lens and a D5200 body:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/72157641188279093/
 
Dear everyone reading this thread: Please ignore the false information Vince.1551 just spread. Thanks, Brain.

Info warriors ... Don't preach what you have read. Rather you test it out yourself and read about practical testings. Might as well advise her to use the trinity lens on her D5100. Remember, FX lenses are designed for FX cameras. DX lenses are designed for DX cameras. To put it simply, changing her current cam to a D5300 or D7100 would have greatly improved IQ based on her current lens setup simply because of better technology... Get it ?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom