Of course newer cameras will improve your IQ end results... No doubt about it.
However, I also agree with the majority that preaches that before upgrading you camera, do so with your lens first.
Lenses last way more than camera bodies, and later when you upgrade you body, you will have another IQ improvement.
That's what I do, at least. D5200 and getting FX lenses for it now, that really improves (a lot) the IQ.
In the future, as I move into a FX body (maybe something inside the D800 family), I will already have FX lenses.
And I will certainly experiment another IQ improvement.
Nevertheless, probably the most important improvement in IQ has to do more with the shooter's skills, than with her/his gear...
Yes, I truly believe in that. Look what this person is doing in Uruguay with a D3100 and its kit lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/errikarevetria/
Look what this person is doing in the Netherlands with a Samsung NX300 mirrorless crop with kit lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99099661@N08/
Here's a good step up strategy for enhancing IQ over time, from worse to better:
.1) DX Body + Kit DX Lenses
...2) Improve your shooting skills...
....3) DX Body + Fast DX Lenses
......4) Improve your shooting skills again...
.......5) DX Body + FX Lenses
.........6) Improve your shooting skills even further...
..........7) FX Body + FX Lenses
............8) Don't ever stop improving your shooting skills... never...
How fast you move, depends on you, and you alone, your needs and your budget. Whether you are a hobbyist or a pro, etc...