What's new

Nikkor lenses, need professional advice

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
In The City
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Basically, I've been looking at buying some new lenses here lately, and I need some input and advice from somebody that has used the lenses I'm looking at buying. I have a D80 body that I'm using right now and the crappy 18-135mm kit lens. I shoot alot of sports photography and automotive photography. I also will be doing some wedding stuff here in the near future.

First off, I'm looking at buying a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (Imported). How is this lens? My buddy has the older 1.8 version and I really liked it, is this one any better? Also what's with the "Imported" vs "USA", I know it's where it's made but does it make that big of a difference? Is it worth it to just spring for the USA model?

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens 1902 - B&H Photo


Next, is the 85mm f/1.8 (Imported) and the 28mm f/2.8 (Imported). I've got all the same questions for these as the 50mm. But, also should I get these 3 lenses in prime or just get something like the 24-70mm f/2.8? Or are there other brands that are just as good/better for the same price, such as sigma?

Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Lens 1931 - B&H Photo Video
Nikon AF NIKKOR 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens 1922 - B&H Photo

Lastly, the 80-200mm f/2.8 (Imported). This one would pretty much only be used for sporting events. I used the Sigma version of the 70-200mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D for the school and I really loved the lens actually. I'm guessing the Nikkor one will be just as good if not better, but I can't say it with confidence since I've never used one.

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens 1986 - B&H Photo

I'm probably going to be upgrading camera bodies here shortly in the future as well, I'll still use the D80 as backup, so I'm not really worried about my camera body.

Thanks for all the help!
 
Imported(Grey Market) can't be serviced in the United States.
 
The bad thing about prime lenses is that they are one fixed focal length. The good thing about primes is probably the best optical quality at that focal length, a wide aperture, and usually, an overall great lens. The primes i own are phenomenal at their fixed focal length, and work well. However, it would be convenient in shooting sports to have two zoom lenses and two bodies. One body with the 80-200, and the other one with the 24-70. That way, you have your bases covered.

And yes, imported means grey market, which cannot be serviced in the USA.
 
Alright thanks guys. So basically you are saying it's better to go with the USA models :P
 
It depends on whether the cost-saving is sufficient to justify buying a lens with no warranty. Nikon lenses are well made, but they can have issues. I recently had a problem with the focusing helicoid in my 24-70 2.8. It still worked, but made some interesting noises when zooming, and you actually had to work to get over the 35mm mark. That's a $1600 piece of glass which required a $650 repair - since it was only 2 1/2 years into its warranty, Nikon (in less than three weeks) sent me a brand-new lens! IMO, you'd have to save a LOT of money to make buying grey-market glass worth the risk.
 
It depends on whether the cost-saving is sufficient to justify buying a lens with no warranty. Nikon lenses are well made, but they can have issues. I recently had a problem with the focusing helicoid in my 24-70 2.8. It still worked, but made some interesting noises when zooming, and you actually had to work to get over the 35mm mark. That's a $1600 piece of glass which required a $650 repair - since it was only 2 1/2 years into its warranty, Nikon (in less than three weeks) sent me a brand-new lens! IMO, you'd have to save a LOT of money to make buying grey-market glass worth the risk.

That is a very true statement which I was thinking of in the beginning. Thanks for the input and first person experience! :thumbup:
 
Lets clarify some of the info in this thread.

#1. Nikon's lens warranty is for 1 year, unless you buy a USA serial numbered lens, and you then register the lens with Nikon USA, at which time the warranty is extended to 5 years from the date of purchase.

#2. If you buy an Import lens from B&H Photo Video and then need a warranty repair, you just send it to B&H:

A "direct import" or grey market item would have to be returned to B&H Photo-Video if it required in-warranty service.
U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video

#3. Nikon USA Service will not touch any of their gear that does not have a USA serial number, not even for paid repairs. There are 23 Nikon authorized repair facilities across the US that can do paid repairs on Import gear: Nikon Authorized Repair List
 
Thanks KmH for clarifying the warranty issue, looks like I'll be getting all Nikon USA products so I can get the 5 year warranty :)
 
Those are all GREAT lenses! I wouldn't worry about the warranty, as the build quality of these lenses is fantastic. The price increase for warranted version seems like a rip-off considering the very low risk of malfunction.

The only things you may consider would be:

1) 35mm 1.8 instead of 50mm f1.4, as it will complement the 85mm better.

2) you may want to look for a used AF-S version of the 80-200mm; I bought an mint AF-S version for the same price as what they're asking for the AF.

3) If you're pinching pennies, you may consider a single-ring version of the 80-200mm--they only cost around $500 in mint condition, and are optically just as good as the two ring version, just a little slower focusing.
 
Last edited:
Nikon USA will repair gray market lenses. Just ask nice. I know first hand.
 
grey market lenses are worth it IMO...especially when it can save you a couple hundred bucks.
 
I have the 1.8 35mm, 1.8 50mm, and a older 1.8 85mm

I only really use the 35mm and I am thinking of up grading to the 35mm 1.4

I also have the SIGMA 18-55mm 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 and I really love these lenses. I have had them for a year now and not one problem. I have used Nikon 80-200 2.8 and I feel the sigma does the job just as well. The Nikon feels a little heavy or more solid but other than that I AM GREAT. I want one more lens before moving up to the a new body and that is the Tokina 11-16mm. Then I feel I will have the spectrum covered. I only really use the Primes for portrait work and I am in the process of building a home studio so I think they will come in handy. But I really never use them when I leave the house. The 70 200 is my Favorite lens so far!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom