What's new

Nikon 1.4x, 1.7x, 2x manual focus adapters

quiddity

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
253
Reaction score
21
Location
Frozen Tundra
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D50 and want to buy a 1.4x, 1.7x, or 2x adapter.

Nikon branded manual focus adapters are going relatively cheap on Ebay.

Can I use these with the AF lenses?
If so, what are the repercussions.

Thanks in advance.
 
What you're referring to is a tele-converter or optical mutliplier. The older, MF versions will work just fine with an AF lens with the caveat that the lens won't auto-focus. Be aware however that Nikon TCs will only work on their higher-end glass, and will not mate for instance to the 70-300 f4-5.6 or similar lenses. If you're planning to use one of those lenses, you'll need a third party TC such as Kenko, Sigma or Tamron. Also remember that your maximum aperture increases by the multiplication factor, eg: Putting a 2x TC on a lens with a maximum aperture of f2.8 will give you a lens with a new maximum aperture of f5.6.
 
With a D50 and the MF teleconverters. You will have manual focusing only as mentioned above. But your focus indication light will work if your combination is f5.6 of better, maybe f8.0.

BUT - you will only be able to use manual mode, and will have no metering. Kenko Pro 300 series AF teleconverters are pretty good at a decent price. I have tried some other off brand ones and they are just paperweights somewhere around my house. Have not tried Sigma or Tamron's. Nikons AF ones are good, but only work with AF-I/AF-S lenses (for AF anyway). I have 3 Nikon MF teleconverters that I use with MF lenses still. They are pretty good even though older designs. With Nikon D200's and better (we have D300's) they work better since you can tell the camera the lens installed. You get most of the functions except AF of course.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom