Nikon 55~200 AFS

I do not want to mention any names, but it was that previous fellow KR, who told me to buy the 55-200 and to stand 9 feet back to take my shots. Maybe he did not know I was using a few crappy cfl bulbs.

The only sharper shots I get are when i stand really close, and they are only of a small area. Around F6

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 150
As mentioned, don't listen to Tony Northrup.

Since you mentioned it about sharpness
I'm still really curious how much your tripod and all shudders when you take a photo.

As mentioned, don't listen to Tony Northrup.

I'm still really curious how much your tripod and all shudders when you take a photo.

Umm, i'm using a 2 second delay (i wish the bloody Nikon would stay on there). Or i use a wireless shutter release.

F11 is not F4, so why are they pretty sharp?
None of this makes sense to me.
Yes f11, is the sharpest for me on the whole surface area of the bag. But it's not really sharp. I still have to sharpen up the raw file considerably.
You might want to Do Some Lens Testing to determine where your lenses are the sharpest. And I don't mean subjective testing by looking at the texture of a handbag, I mean actual testing by using a test chart. While most people will find an aperture range that works well for them I suspect you will find only explicit aperture that works for you. While most people find an acceptably sharp image across the entire image circle, I suspect that you will only be able to use a small portion of the center of the image circle.

I've never seen anyone remotely as concerned about sharpness before, but if that's what rocks your boat go for it. It's going to be on you to determine for yourself what works though, nobody else can do it for you.

We've been all through this ad nauseam.

Since the bloggers KR and TN are not well respected by some on here, you (Quovadis) should take a pinch of salt with whatever they have written and "average out" their advice with some other advice.

The 50mm Nikon lens is known for its sharpness, so don't be surprised at the difference.

Another alternative, (the path of least resistance), and to put an end to all this frustration, would be to hire a professional who sees the exact set up I have, and who can tell me exactly where to place lights, what Aperture and shutter speed to use in this context. At least he could tell me what to buy, and what not to buy. The problem is finding someone here on location who is not just as incompetent as myself. There's a few portrait photographers here in Fort Myers, but I have no clue if they know anything about shooting reflective bags.
As for the bags :
1. they do not move
2. I only require 12 different shots so 12 different angles.
How hard can this possibly be? At the moment I have an overload of information, with regards to the whole thing.
Then, another possibility comes to mind. Maybe, I am already getting the best possible shots for the current set up?

I have not understood if F11 is the same on a full frame with a prime lens, and if f11 is the same on an APS-c with a prime lens?
it's exactly the same (in terms of how much light the sensor is getting -- all other camera settings being equal)

While producing great photos is admirable, you risk getting lost down the rabbit hole of measurebating and pixel peeping. Understand what the client wants, exceed that expectation and then move on. As for the reflections, use a sufficiently large light tent.

While producing great photos is admirable, you risk getting lost down the rabbit hole of measurebating and pixel peeping. Understand what the client wants, exceed that expectation and then move on. As for the reflections, use a sufficiently large light tent.

Once again, great advice. There is only one small problem.. "I am the client".

Ok, think about what is needed for someone to buy a bag.

Ok, think about what is needed for someone to buy a bag.
I was going to say .. as the Client then fire the photographer and hire someone that knows what they are doing.

I think You mentioned early on that a pro photographer friend of your helped with some stuff. Can you have him/her to help you with this all around ? Or were you mentioned just a for hire photographer ?

I found it really valuable when I first started of going to some Meetup.com group sessions with a pro photog and doing photo shoots with models. Got a chance to deal with off camera lighting and multiple methods of diffusion / reflection with full body diffusers, etc. It gave me some hands-on experience which was a lot better than reading/testing.

ie, just reading that Lighting Bible is one thing. Testing it's concepts is another (although without experience you really don't know if you are doing it correctly, or understanding it correctly). Going someplace that is setup let's you observe how things are, can ask questions etc and have hands-on learning.

It doesn't hurt to learn and try to take better pictures of product, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Most reactions

Back