Anyone knows about Adobe Lightroom...

photonuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I heard about Adobe lightroom is a very good program, does anyone use this program and is it good or not? I already have CS 3 and I don't what to spend $300 on something that CS 3 can do... I just cannot find more information about Adobe lightroom, and please if any of you use this program, let me know. Thank you

Most people who use Lightroom with CS3 or CS4 will use Lightroom for 90%+ of their editing/processing. It also organizes photo's in a way Photoshop cannot.

Similar situation here. LR and PS CS integrate amazingly well. I have some plug-ins in PS that I love using regularly (like Viveza), so I tend to do much more of my post-processing in PS, but I still do minor corrections like noise reduction (unless it's really bad and needs Nik's Define), colour balance, exposure, and vibrance in LR, then go to PS and finish things up. Though for many photos Lightroom is plenty to get a decent result.

On that note, I think I'd go crazy (well, more than I already am) without LRs keywords and organizational abilities. There's no better way to organize all those photos, especially if you shoot hundreds (or even over a thousand, and especially thousands) of photos a day, then using a program built for it like Lightroom or Aperture. Note I mention Aperture; they both do much of the same thing, and have their own strengths. If you're on a mac, you might as well look at Aperture too as a choice.

Last edited:
Well I guess $350 will fly away....:grumpy: I will try this program in a week. Thanks for all the information and greatly appreciated.

I think if you organize your photos with some other program, so Camera Raw, which goes with PS, is quite good. it has almost the same possibilities that LR has. I always start with exposure, it can also cure your over or under exposed areas, then color balance. and I like Clarity function (so unusual soft blur or hard sharp effect) that LR doesn't have. And Vignetting is rather simple to add.

If you're on a mac, you might as well look at Aperture too as a choice.

I am using mac and I try aperture before (30 days when I bought my imac) I don't really like because I was so SLOW.... ( If you have 4G+ of RAM that another story) and the mac "pizza" will hold for 1-2 mins if you open more then 2 raw file at a time. :er:

Again thanks for the input !!:thumbup::thumbup:

Well I guess $350 will fly away....:grumpy: I will try this program in a week. Thanks for all the information and greatly appreciated.

There is a 30 day free trial that you can download from Adobe. It is the full software, nothing is deactivated on the trial version.

You could try that now. (All it will really do is delay you spending your money a few weeks...)

If you're on a mac, you might as well look at Aperture too as a choice.

I am using mac and I try aperture before (30 days when I bought my imac) I don't really like because I was so SLOW.... ( If you have 4G+ of RAM that another story) and the mac "pizza" will hold for 1-2 mins if you open more then 2 raw file at a time. :er:

Again thanks for the input !!:thumbup::thumbup:

Ah, the spinning pinwheel of death. >.< Indeed, sometimes Apple isn't really the best at optimization.

I didn't like Lightroom when i first got it, but now I've had a play around with it i think it's a great program. I use CS3 for most of my photo editing, but Lightroom offers a great organising system, and ability to upload straight to my website, which is very valuable to me.

There is a 30 day free trial that you can download from Adobe. It is the full software, nothing is deactivated on the trial version.

You could try that now. (All it will really do is delay you spending your money a few weeks...)

Thanks, I am downloading it now.....

I have lightroom but I find I still use Bridge and Photoshop for 75% of my managing and editing. I think I just haven't adjusted to Lightroom yet.

It took me a good 6 months to warm up to LR, but now I could not do without it. What took me 5 hours to do under CS3, takes me 2 hours under LR. Of course, LR cannot do it all like CS3/4 can, and so I use CS3 for just the things that LR cannot do.

They make a very good combination. I know poeple that do entire weddings (2000+ photos) in 4-5 hours, where before it took them 2-3 days!

Most reactions

Back