Nikon d300s or d7000?

Lunchbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to sell my gripped d200 soon and really wanted a d700 but i have so many dx lenses that i love i figured i would just stay with the crop sensors.

I am just looking for advice on which you would recommend D300, D300s, d7000

I have some experience with the d300 but not much, none with 300s and 7000, i really like the dual card slots on the 7000 and 300s

I do mostly automotive style shooting, racing etc...

I personally recommend you buy the best (normally most expensive) body you can afford.

I have been hearing all the hype about the d7000 just wondering if there is any truth to it

the main thing i want is better battery life and better ISO performance

Technically the D7000 is a better camera IMO than the D300S.

D7000: ISO 6400(not Hi) not +16MP and dual SD slots
D300S: ISO 3200(not Hi), 13MP and 1 compact slot and one SD slot

There various other differences not mentioned. Seems like the D7000 is the winner to me.

I had the chance to play with both the d300s and the d7000. After testing the d7000 a bit more, I ordered the d7000 in a heartbeat.

I have both the D300s and D7000, there are things the D300s has that the D7000 does not - such as a larger buffer and 9 shot bracketing.

That said, I'm reluctantly selling my D300s now to get new glass. The D7000 performs as well as the D300s for my needs, but it will take some time to re-adust to the body - I simply love the layout on the D300s.

I am going to the store to mess with the d7000 some and see how i like it, but i thinking it will feel more like a d90 in my hands than my d200

I am going to the store to mess with the d7000 some and see how i like it, but i thinking it will feel more like a d90 in my hands than my d200

It deffinetly feels like the d90 your hands however, it feels a lot more heavy duty than the d90. buttons layout are pretty much the same and i really like the addition of the cross control on the mb-d11 grip versus the plain mb-d80.

You're right, it does... and that's the hardest thing for me to overcome right now. Every time I pick up my D300s it feels so good in my hands, I don't get that feeling with the D7000. Still feels great and all, but there's something about the D200/D300 etc body that just feels right.

Yep just upped to a used D90 from D200. And yep I still think about the feel and sounds the D200 gave. And still missed it even tho I have the better high iso performer of the D90.

Give the consumer models a miss, the ergonomics and quality builds of nikons d 300-700 and up should be a no-brainer. H

I borrowed my buddies d300 the for the past 2 days, and is it just me or do the pics on these seem way over saturated, i have changed all the settings and for some reason I can take my d200 with the same lens and snap a pic and it looks perfect, then put that lens on the d300 body and snap the same pic and it seems less sharp and oversaturated. they look perfect on the LCD but on the computer they look bad to me.

is this common or ?

d200 is for sale now and still cant decide.

I'd go for the D7000 personally. If you need a weather sealed body then check out the D2H, D2X, D3 or D3X. They handle much better than the D200 or D300 with a aftermarket grip. I sold my D200 a few years back and never missed it. I replaced it with D2H and a D2X and couldn't have been happier. I've beat them to death shooting paintball tournaments and never had the first problem. Nikon pro bodies are where it's at as long as it fits in your budget. For regular/casual shooting the D7000 will be fine. I drag my D40 all over the place and it still works and looks just like it did the day I bought it and it has a plastic body. The D7000 has a magnesium alloy body and is built much tougher.

I just went to the local store and took some pics with the 300s and 7000 and honestly the only thing i liked about the 7k was shooting at 6400iso and looking at the images now, its not bad for that high of an ISO. but everything else was saying d300, feel controls etc...

I dont care for the video stuff so what I am wondering is if they improved anything on the d300s over the d300 other than adding video?

I could save a bundle just buying a used d300 over buying a new 300s and use that money towards some glass or a grip

Most reactions

New Topics

Back